Cold vs Hot Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

NECowboy

Reaction score
Have scraped ice off my windshield for a couple mornings now (29 here this morning) and was wondering what kind of weather people here prefer and why. I've heard a lot of complaints around town about it being chilly, cold etc (it's not our average winter low is around 12 and we dip below zero at least a few mornings each winter) but honestly in comparison to the 95, 100 degree heat we had in spurts this summer, I much prefer this or even colder. I won't complain, I actually even enjoy it.

As I see it you can always bundle up and add more layers of clothing, long underwear, coveralls, got me a really warm Stormy Kromer cap with earflaps for the coldest of days, but when it's hot and DAM hot at that, drinking gallons of water and sweating like a pig gets old. What type of weather do you prefer and why? Are you enjoying the fall and winter coming on or wishing it was back to those summer days?

I love this weather. Spring and Fall are my favorite times of year. I deal with cold much better. Like you said, layer up.

A sweatshirt or hoodie or lighter jacket does me just fine! I am able to get much more work done i feel like. Don't get nearly as worn out.

A person can take only so many clothes off… But we can put on however many we need.

NECowboy":2ha61ukr said:
What type of weather do you prefer and why? Are you enjoying the fall and winter coming on or wishing it was back to those summer days?

Prefer cold as heat drains me and meds im on im not supposed to be in heat but so much.. I am loving waking up to 40's weather. I like starting a fire in the fireplace but hasn't been cold enough yet but I do love it. Cold weather also means my vacation from Nov-Jan is here. as was said no freaking bugs is a great thing.

Aaron":2r9nihor said:
Autumn is my preference. Relatively dry compared to spring, no bugs and can dress for weather.

Don't know where Stratton is but mosquitoes and black flies in Canada are something fierce! Been to Temagami in northern Ontario before in the summer - great fishing, perfect weather, one of the favorite places I've ever been - but man are the bugs terrible! It's like they have only a limited time to bite things and breed due to the short summer so they get to biting with a furor not known to us in most of the lower 48 (I say most of cuz I've been in northern Minnesota - Lake of the Woods area and that is bad too!)

I prefer hot weather to cold. I like this kind of fall weather, we are having now, high 40-50's of a morning and getting into the upper 60's and 70's. I really don't like cold winter weather, in my mind the only good thing about winter is not having to mow the yard, for about 3-4 months most years.

Ky hills":2irvzofq said:
I prefer hot weather to cold. I like this kind of fall weather, we are having now, high 40-50's of a morning and getting into the upper 60's and 70's. I really don't like cold winter weather, in my mind the only good thing about winter is not having to mow the yard, for about 3-4 months most years.

I lived in a climate where the coldest it got in 6 years was about 45 deg. The bugs, roaches, lizards, etc. never stop growing! Winter helps eliminate BUGS.

I prefer the change of seasons, but hot weather is my least favorite.

D2Cat":qrmhap5c said:
Ky hills":qrmhap5c said:

I lived in a climate where the coldest it got in 6 years was about 45 deg. The bugs, roaches, lizards, etc. never stop growing! Winter helps eliminate BUGS.

Still traumatized from the palmetto bugs/roaches with wings when I lived in South Carolina. They didn't mean you had a dirty house they were just there because of the heat and humidity!

Love that we have very few bugs knock on wood here in Nebraska because the cold weather kills em. Probably nicest to me would be mid 60s during day, low to mid 40s at night, low to no humidity, doesn't stick around long though!

My wife (Nebraska native) laughes at me for covering up a cake, lasagna cooling on counter etc when she's used to leaving things out for hours. I tell her I don't leave anything uncovered so bugs won't get in them (habit from living in the South I guess).

ClinchValley":1ic82495 said:
I love this weather. Spring and Fall are my favorite times of year. I deal with cold much better. Like you said, layer up.

A sweatshirt or hoodie or lighter jacket does me just fine! I am able to get much more work done i feel like. Don't get nearly as worn out.

A person can take only so many clothes off… But we can put on however many we need.

Same here. I prefer it to be cooler rather than hotter. The heat does me in. :(

NECowboy":1a84dizk said:
D2Cat":1a84dizk said:
Ky hills":1a84dizk said:

Still traumatized from the palmetto bugs/roaches with wings when I lived in South Carolina. They didn't mean you had a dirty house they were just there because of the heat and humidity!

Love that we have very few bugs knock on wood here in Nebraska because the cold weather kills em. Probably nicest to me would be mid 60s during day, low to mid 40s at night, low to no humidity, doesn't stick around long though!

My wife (Nebraska native) laughes at me for covering up a cake, lasagna cooling on counter etc when she's used to leaving things out for hours. I tell her I don't leave anything uncovered so bugs won't get in them (habit from living in the South I guess).

This summer, some kids from Cleveland, OH, that my wife is friends of their family stayed with us for a little over a month, they thought we had a lot of bugs and spiders.

NECowboy":17rc8nk5 said:
Aaron":17rc8nk5 said:
Autumn is my preference. Relatively dry compared to spring, no bugs and can dress for weather.

Don't know where Stratton is but mosquitoes and black flies in Canada are something fierce! Been to Temagami in northern Ontario before in the summer - great fishing, perfect weather, one of the favorite places I've ever been - but man are the bugs terrible! It's like they have only a limited time to bite things and breed due to the short summer so they get to biting with a furor not known to us in most of the lower 48 (I say most of cuz I've been in northern Minnesota - Lake of the Woods area and that is bad too!)

Stratton = Lake of the Woods

I'm 45 minutes from the Lake. Stay away from the lakes and the worst bugs you get are mosquitoes. I can't stand sandflies at the lakes.

And your Herefords can take the -40 weather up there? No offense but didn't see a lot of cattle ranches in Northern Ontario or Minnesota. I was thinking Stratton would be one of those vanilla blah Southern Ontario towns like St Thomas Chatham etc. the 401 gotta be one of the most boring highways in the world.

I 80 in Nebraska gotta be one of the worst too gotta get off the interstate and out of the Platte aka flat valley to get the topography that will impress ya. Always loved the Canadian Shield the red and white pine, exposed rock cliffs, crystal clear lakes, birch trees, monster walleye and pike cool area Aaron!

I much prefer the cold. I always say that there in nothing in my Scandinavian ancestry or being raised on the Washington coast that prepared me for hot weather. I use to go to Alaska to work in the summer to avoid the 80 degree temperatures here.

I don't handle excessive heat or cold very well anymore but still prefer cold. Doesn't get all that cold here and weather in the 20's isn't so bad with proper clothing. Our mild winters also come with high humidities just like the summer so will chill you to the bone even though ambient temp. isn't that low. Always got a good cold wind blowing too. Summer is fine if I can stay inside in the A/C.

NECowboy":39of5l28 said:
And your Herefords can take the -40 weather up there? No offense but didn't see a lot of cattle ranches in Northern Ontario or Minnesota. I was thinking Stratton would be one of those vanilla blah Southern Ontario towns like St Thomas Chatham etc. the 401 gotta be one of the most boring highways in the world.

I 80 in Nebraska gotta be one of the worst too gotta get off the interstate and out of the Platte aka flat valley to get the topography that will impress ya. Always loved the Canadian Shield the red and white pine, exposed rock cliffs, crystal clear lakes, birch trees, monster walleye and pike cool area Aaron!

-40 without wind is ok with them. It's when the wind picks up to 40-50 mph and the windchill is down to -60 that they start to complain a little. Thankfully that doesn't happen very often. But last time it did happen, I had a fall calf freeze to death.

Latest posts