Cold, Cold, Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Plugged the loader tractor in all day. Started it up after the Vikings won, again. Then worked on the broken silo unloader. Came back out to find the tractor had gelled up and run out of fuel... Decided to go in the house for a hot whiskey. Happy New Year.

greybeard":2nrqw1h5 said:
ohiosteve":2nrqw1h5 said:
The secret to keeping warm and staying happy in frigid weather is simple really. Elmer Fud hat.

A Christmas Story

The secret is staying in where there is central heat. Titanium replacement parts don't like cold weather. Thank goodness for replacement parts there just not as good as originally issued equipment.

-7 windchill right now, plugged one tractor in day before yesterday , put the other in the shop. Anti gel and topped off a couple of days ago, pond will be froze good today, be glad when it breaks . Anyone else get up at 2 in the morning to put wood in the shopstove to keep their tractor warm? Lol

It's -9 here this morning. Weather folks say it the second coldest it's ever been on this date in K.C.

I've got a project I've been working on. Replacing a Perkins in a skid steer with a Kubota V2203 engine. The engine was in a Carrier reefer unit. Been sitting for 3 weeks, but wanted to see if she'd start a couple of days ago. 550 CCA battery and fired right off without GP's. Nice.

4* this morning, up to all of 17* at 10:30 a.m.. Sun is out but we have had a wind advisory. Was below 0 wind chills just with the breeze. This is making hauling water a real PIA. Supposed to be artic chill all week with maybe Wed getting above freezing. Think we are going to have to move some of these cattle to another place where there is water. But that is not going to solve the problems if we don't get some moisture. I'd be glad of 20's and some snow accumulation. Oh well, as long as we keep some of the diesel stuff plugged in we will manage. I just hate trying to haul water when it's freezing as fast as you can get it in the troughs.

Happy New Year to all. I know there are alot of you dealing with alot colder temps. Thing is, hopefully you are also more used to them. We got spoiled here the last few years with a couple days here and there and last year was dry and much milder. Not week long cold that is just COLD.

Well it was -44F at ringing in the new year at midnight, and by 2:00 PM here Jan 1 it is 34F. By my math that's 78 degrees F in 14 hours, with most of the temp rise in less than 2 hours.
I think we are going to live!

Latest posts