Cold, Cold, Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Was gonna haul 2 loads of slaughter cows this morning but decided the 4 i have in the lot already will have to be enough for today. It was 0 early but up to 8 now

4 yesterday, 2 this morning. Had a farm cancel testing tomorrow. Was the coldest it has ever been in the small tie stall barn this morning with all the cows staying in and all doors/windows shut. Usually a decent place to test in the cold. Gonna cancel the one on Thursday because they will never shut the exit door and I am too old and too cranky to spend 5 hours in there freezing. Thurs & Fri not supposed to get above 18..... How far away is march????? Getting ready to go up and haul some water....

I for one am loving every minute of it. I was outside from 7am-8pm, cutting ice, feeding hay, unrolling straw, skidding and dressing logs.

Everyday the Lord blesses me with beautiful weather, and the ability to work, I am happy.

farmerjan":15d1v0ye said:
Hunting a warmer spot????? Like the Florida Keys????? :lol2: :lol2: :nod: :nod:

I am hunting the Florida keys in my truck lol I don't get out unless my GPS shows me the dogs are getting close to me lol I can tell exactly where they are so I can relax in the heat with my potted meat till time to get on stand.

I'm so glad that it looks like the worst is over, for the time being anyway.

Had -7F yesterday, -2F this morning.

I run a TMR all winter.. Been keeping the tractors plugged in or there's no chance that they would start. Everything has been working well except for the skid steer. It will start for a minute, run rough, then die. It will sputter to life again and run okay after a while. Fuel is treated with Howe's and diesel 911.

Have a Case Maxxum that will always start, but will not steer or move for 10 or 15 minutes. I'm looking into a transmission oil heater for it.

Have 60 heifers that are due, two born last night, 4 in total. Not a problem yet.

I will take below zero with the sun shining over the wind blowing and a foot of snow any day.

Some of the bigger ponds that rarely freeze have a couple inches of solid black ice. The smaller ones have a good 4-5 inches. I'm tempted to chop a hole in one and dip a jig, I'm surely not going to have the boat out any time soon.

High of 5 degrees today with a low of -13 and the weatherman says it will remain nice again tomorrow,
BUT warning that will change and serious cold is headed our way Monday and Tuesday night.
Single digits is too cold for me... next week sounds horrid.

Latest posts