Baby it is Cold Outside

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
This morning it is 15 degrees. It is too dang early to be this cold. Yesterday it was only 25 but there was a 20-30 mph wind that felt like it was coming straight off the north pole. On Tuesday I had helped the neighbor haul home about 100 calves. By the time they got the last load home it was too late to run them through the chute. So first thing yesterday morning they got shots....... in 25 degrees with a 20-30 mph wind. To quote old Wilfred Brimley, "Everybody wants to be a cowboy, until it is time to do cowboy sh!t". Just where did those winter gloves go to?

Good thing is today I have to take the dog to the vet. A 9:00 appointment. Not enough time to do anything before I leave and it will be after 11:00 by the time I am back. It is supposed to be in the mid 40's by then.

Guess it's the price of not having 100 days of 95 - 105 degree weather. Chilly 79 at 9am here...will probably add another mark in the 95+ column. 😀

I will take 15 degrees over 105 any day of the week. It is just about a month early. It is supposed to be fall in early October. Yesterday I put on the wild rag for the first time this fall. The cowboys were wearing chinks and nobody was riding. I was wishing I had chinks. I need to dig out the winter clothes. Probably should have plugged the truck in last night.

Well Dave...your little cold snap blew in this morning....48 instead of 15 and the wind has slowed to 23. Now you didn't mention snow so I wasn't expecting the half inch of rain but I thank you anyway. 😄

1982vett said:
Well Dave...your little cold snap blew in this morning....48 instead of 15 and the wind has slowed to 23. Now you didn't mention snow so I wasn't expecting the half inch of rain but I thank you anyway. 😄

It is still in the teens here this morning but tomorrow is suppose to be the last morning below freezing for a week or more. It snowed in the mountains west of here but it ran out of moisture by the time it got here. That is OK. Grass is done for the year here. We don't grow anything in the winter.

1982vett said:

Got 1.5" when it came through little after daylight.

Been having dampness falling most of the day but nothing I'd call rain. Still a slim chance we might get a little.

👍 yeah, I think we got 2/10 this out of that. It's long gone for sure. If we would have gotten more and the ryegrass germinated, I don't think it would have survived the heat. Hopefully this is the beginning of wetter times for us.

Just checked. We are now in a d2 drought area with the western portion of the county at d3.

Texas is beginning to look like most of The South Eastern states.

Had 41 this morning, coldest so far. Sun is out so it will warm up..... MAYBE rain on Wednesday. We are in a moderate to severe drought area too. Got .2 last week and it was gone before the grass could barely get washed off. An hour north they got over 1 inch.