You Know It's Cold When

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
At -18 headed for -29. The artic vortex is back! Snow is drifting to the point it is hard to get around with FWA. Pulled the bred heifers off winter pasture and deep bedded them with oats straw. Last night the farm dog and the barn cat followed me to the house...

We only had -16 here last night, but the wind was so strong, I counted 7 tractor/trailers that were blown off or broke down on I-65 over a 30 mile stretch. Bad night to be outdoors

Weather chick was wrong -- got down to -33. Foresters should be happy. Weather like this kills off a lot of bark beetles and other little critters.

Stocker Steve said:
Weather chick was wrong -- got down to -33. Foresters should be happy. Weather like this kills off a lot of bark beetles and other little critters.

This old Forester ain't getting out in any weather like that. But yes you are correct in that it should help control the bark beetle and several other things.

We haven't dipped that cold this winter. But it has been cold enough that I haven't seen a rattlesnake in almost 4 months and probably about the same for mosquitoes.

Stocker Steve said:

bet it doesn't phase the black flies and skeeters tho. They are somewhere in a snow bank with Marvin Gaye playing "lets get it on". Hope you and the family are staying warm!

Stocker Steve said:
When the schools close for four days during the same week.

This is exactly what we are in for this week. Called it off today, no shot of going Tues or Wed. Thurs doesnt look promising..

So cold here tonight (expecting wind chills of -50-70 below) I actually turned on a heater for the dogs in the barn and opened up a leantoo for some of the bulls. The wind is coming straight out of the west tonight, so the wind break for Max and company is doing them zero good. They will get to hole up in the barn with Titan for a couple of days....no one likes frozen testicles!

Latest posts