Cloth or paper?

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
Do you use cloth or paper towels for milking? We have always used paper, but I became interested in the cloth/microfiber towels as a sustainability tool. When I thought about it though, you have to wash them in hot water and dry them in the dryer, which probably has a worse environmental impact than the towels degrading in the manure pit. I don't know anyone who's used the cloth and I was just curious which was really better for the environment and from a cost standpoint.

LoveMoo11":2d46wxbf said:
Do you use cloth or paper towels for milking? We have always used paper, but I became interested in the cloth/microfiber towels as a sustainability tool. When I thought about it though, you have to wash them in hot water and dry them in the dryer, which probably has a worse environmental impact than the towels degrading in the manure pit. I don't know anyone who's used the cloth and I was just curious which was really better for the environment and from a cost standpoint.

We always used the cloth towels entirely....one towel per cow...wash, dry and re-use. No tons and tons of wet towels to dispose of and never had any major probelms with SSC or bacteria counts.

Some depends on your inspector. Aorund here they want a single towel for each cow. Of course whenthe inspector isn;t aournd I've seen them milk with no prep at all, just run them in and slap the milkers on.

dun":1pjsso6g said:
Some depends on your inspector. Aorund here they want a single towel for each cow. Of course whenthe inspector isn;t aournd I've seen them milk with no prep at all, just run them in and slap the milkers on.

Oh mercy...no pre-dip or anything?? Bet that sock filter going to the tank had to be changed twice every milking.

TexasBred":3vc5riad said:
dun":3vc5riad said:

Oh mercy...no pre-dip or anything?? Bet that sock filter going to the tank had to be changed twice every milking.
One of the dairys just turned it inside out and put it back on.

We have used both of them . The cloths were really a pita. As you use one per cow sometimes alot more depending on how dirty the cow had gotten their udder. We did a load of towels a day as we had a washer and dryer in the milk house. Then you had to fold them and get them ready for the next days milking, alot of extra work when you already had too much to do. We switched to bio degradable paper towels, less work and the cows SCC stayed the same ..

wtf??
After swishing it through boiling sanitised water, one hopes.

Filters... you didn't want to know, TB. How do you suppose NZers regularly put 200 cows an hour through their smaller sheds at milking time? Apart from the occasional cow, about the only time they get washed is if it's raining and the udders are splashed with mud.
Several people have told me to change the filter before putting the wash through, and I wont do it - or if I do another new filter goes on before the next milking. Standard routine is start the rinse water going through, take the filter out, hose off all loose dirt, replace it, discard at the end of the hot wash.
I don't know why people don't 'get' that if they wash through a new filter fat and dirt is deposited on the filter during the wash, then left to culture bacteria till next milking. Same if a filter is washed and re-used.

regolith":3j39jl03 said:

wtf??
Sometimes they would actually run the hose on it, that's it. Fortunately they aren;t milking anymore.

dun":1w3l43tv said:
regolith":1w3l43tv said:

wtf??
Sometimes they would actually run the hose on it, that's it. Fortunately they aren;t milking anymore.

Wasn't the milk ever refused because of the high bacteria count ?? Does the milk truck test the milk before they pick it up ?

hillsdown":1awn94mb said:
Wasn't the milk ever refused because of the high bacteria count ?? Does the milk truck test the milk before they pick it up ?
Never refused but they got docked every load
Trucker doesn;t test for anything. They had to pay for a couple of loads (insurance) after it was condemned for antibiotics form milking treated cows into the bulk tank.

we used white wash clothes to dry the cows baggs.an we only used 1 pre cow.if you use 1 on more than 1 cow your asking for trouble fast.we tryed to keep enough raggs for 2 or 3 days.

regolith":2815kyvq said:

wtf??

Filters... you didn't want to know, TB. How do you suppose NZers regularly put 200 cows an hour through their smaller sheds at milking time? Apart from the occasional cow, about the only time they get washed is if it's raining and the udders are splashed with mud.
Several people have told me to change the filter before putting the wash through, and I wont do it - or if I do another new filter goes on before the next milking. Standard routine is start the rinse water going through, take the filter out, hose off all loose dirt, replace it, discard at the end of the hot wash.
I don't know why people don't 'get' that if they wash through a new filter fat and dirt is deposited on the filter during the wash, then left to culture bacteria till next milking. Same if a filter is washed and re-used.

Can't even imagine not cleaning the teats....and the filters we used were for one milking and then disposed of....if there was much of anything even on that filter we knew someone was not doing a good job of cleaning. Never washed teats...only pre-dipped them and then came along with the dry towels and dried them which would remove any dirt or manure that was on the teat.

TexasBred":2ucu7ula said:
regolith":2ucu7ula said:

wtf??

Can't even imagine not cleaning the teats....and the filters we used were for one milking and then disposed of....if there was much of anything even on that filter we knew someone was not doing a good job of cleaning. Never washed teats...only pre-dipped them and then came along with the dry towels and dried them which would remove any dirt or manure that was on the teat.

Pretty gross...and scary that some people do things like that! There's a farm around here where the milkers have to hang up the filter sock after milking so that the owner can inspect it and make sure they did a good job. Thanks for the responses too.

I used to think cloth would be the way to go. After figuring the washing and drying I decided it wouldn't be any cheaper and would make for more work. I use paper towels, one per cow. I put all the used paper towels into a compost pile I have.

There was a dairy in my area that did no washing, wiping or dipping of any cows. They didn't do any dry treating or treatments for mastitis. They were constantly getting warnings from DFA about high SCC. They sure could move the cows through the parlor though :roll: .

novaman":zrirchge said:
I used to think cloth would be the way to go. After figuring the washing and drying I decided it wouldn't be any cheaper and would make for more work. I use paper towels, one per cow. I put all the used paper towels into a compost pile I have.

There was a dairy in my area that did no washing, wiping or dipping of any cows. They didn't do any dry treating or treatments for mastitis. They were constantly getting warnings from DFA about high SCC. They sure could move the cows through the parlor though :roll: .

Their own a$$ was probably just as nasty. :shock:

I use cloth, got a separate washer and dryewr in the well house, use good detergent and bleach, them dry them, works great, really don't know how anyone can afford to use paper towels, what a waste of money.

Did you know that in MO a milk filter is not a requirement for Grade A-my fieldman told me that, and I was shocked, who wouldn't use a milk filter, makes sense to use them, but its not a requirement for Grade A.

GMN

GMN":1b5eqsrw said:
I use cloth, got a separate washer and dryewr in the well house, use good detergent and bleach, them dry them, works great, really don't know how anyone can afford to use paper towels, what a waste of money.

Did you know that in MO a milk filter is not a requirement for Grade A-my fieldman told me that, and I was shocked, who wouldn't use a milk filter, makes sense to use them, but its not a requirement for Grade A.

GMN

You're talking about the sock filter between the milk pump and the tank??? Wow...can only imagine what goes into the milk on some of these operations. But the inspector is never around when you're milking so I guess you could get away with it 99.99% of the time even if it were required.

TexasBred":knxizcx0 said:
GMN":knxizcx0 said:

GMN

You're talking about the sock filter between the milk pump and the tank??? Wow...can only imagine what goes into the milk on some of these operations. But the inspector is never around when you're milking so I guess you could get away with it 99.99% of the time even if it were required.

Yep thats what I'm talking about, seems to me that should be a requirement of grade A for sure.

GMN

It sounds like MO needs to update their rules. I don't care how clean your cows are and how good of a job you do milking, there is always going to be some "stuff" that gets caught on the filter. As far as the paper towels, it really isn't that expensive. A package of paper towels costs me $13.85. There are 2160 sheets in a package. That means it costs me 0.64 CENTS per cow per milking. I have about 50 head so that is 100 sheets per day or 64 cents per day. So in a year's time it costs me roughly $234 for my paper towel supply. I consider that to be one of the cheapest things in the whole operation and they are always dry and clean so there is no risk of residue or bacteria. Further, I compost the used paper towels so I get the benefit of the compost down the line. I guess cloth economics depends on how long the towels last. From what I understand they won't make it past a year or two. You also have to figure the cost of electricity and detergent. I'm not saying it isn't more economical. The numbers that I could come up with didn't look to be promising. Further, I would hate to be constantly hauling, washing, and folding towels. It's bad enough I have to do my own laundry :lol:

Nova we used paper for awhile but the accumulation was just too much. We were milking a lot more cattle so it took a lot more towels. Same for the cloth but there was just something about those fresh clean folded cloth towels that I liked so much better. Not to mention the 200 lbs. of wet nasty paper to try and get rid of every day and I didn't want to pay $100 a month for a dumpster. Both used properly will do the job so it's just a matter of preference.

Latest posts