to vaccinate or not...

Help Support CattleToday:

schmitten

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm not only new to this forum, but new to dairy cattle. My husband and I raise Murray Grey. Its a great hobby that we take very seriously.
We have recently decided to become self sufficient on our farm. So we bought us the sweetest little Jersey to supply or dairy... I know the ins and outs of beef, but Dairy is new to me. Ingy, our family cow is due in September. We will dry her out in July so she can freshen in September. The wonderful gal we got Ingy from has not vaccinated due to personal belief. Which has not affected Ingy nor has it affected Ingy's milk (she had her milk tested once a month due to being a small dairy).
so, do I vaccinate? If so when? Also, whens a good time to worm?
Thank you all in advance
I Am excited to start taking better care of my family with fresh A2 raw milk.

What are you vaccinating for?

If its her first time, she might need two a month apart. All mine get are the lepto (2 in their calf year then an annual booster) and clostridia (2 in the calf year & never again). There's plenty other things you could vaccinate for but only if its neccesary.

As above, I worm dairy cows at drying-off. It can be done any time but check the milk with-holding - only use a nil withholding product if worming during lactation.

Thank you, to both of you!
as I understand it. She was vaccinated as a yearling. But has not since.