Cloth or paper?

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman":d4kb7ojt said:
It sounds like MO needs to update their rules. I don't care how clean your cows are and how good of a job you do milking, there is always going to be some "stuff" that gets caught on the filter. As far as the paper towels, it really isn't that expensive. A package of paper towels costs me $13.85. There are 2160 sheets in a package. That means it costs me 0.64 CENTS per cow per milking. I have about 50 head so that is 100 sheets per day or 64 cents per day. So in a year's time it costs me roughly $234 for my paper towel supply. I consider that to be one of the cheapest things in the whole operation and they are always dry and clean so there is no risk of residue or bacteria. Further, I compost the used paper towels so I get the benefit of the compost down the line. I guess cloth economics depends on how long the towels last. From what I understand they won't make it past a year or two. You also have to figure the cost of electricity and detergent. I'm not saying it isn't more economical. The numbers that I could come up with didn't look to be promising. Further, I would hate to be constantly hauling, washing, and folding towels. It's bad enough I have to do my own laundry :lol:

you are funny-fold the rags, they go into a big container, right out of the dryer-no folding involved-plus I wash the rags twice a week not that big of a deal, not when you have several hundred rags cycling thru.I find rags to be more absorbent, I never liked the towels, and the cost was far more than $13.85 when I used them 15 years ago. I guess to each their own.

GMN

GM you didn't fold you "rags"? Dang...bet you didn't iron them either. ;-) We did actually fold them or had one of the spanish ladies do it.

TexasBred":8pbdj7du said:
GM you didn't fold you "rags"? Dang...bet you didn't iron them either. ;-) We did actually fold them or had one of the spanish ladies do it.

I DONT IRON-PERIOD!!!

Latest posts