Clearing land for additional pasture?

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
I have about 14 acres that was clear cut in 2006 I plan to clear for additional pasture and/or hay acreage. Anybody whose done this before about how long does it take to get rid of the roots and sticks that the dozer misses. I have been quoted prices ranging from 600-1000 dollars an acre. Also any tips you have on getting the land ready to plant faster would be a help.

Howdy, We cleared some of our pasture ourselves. we just rented a dozer for a week and did it. Much cheeper if you do it yourself I think. you will need to put somthing out to keep the soil from washing out.

A lot of it depends on what kind of trees were on it and whether or not you are in a hurry to turn it into a hayfield or will it be ok to leave it as pasture for a while. If you do the latter, nature can take care of the small stuff for you and you should be able to have it cleared and ready for grass for less than $300 an acre.

The prices you were quoted are in line if an istant hayfield is what you want. Most people want to pluck the stumps and rake it clean as possible. This gets expensive. If you had a lot of hardwoods, I'd just shear it then heavy harrow it and lime and seed it. Let time rot the hardwood stumps and the limbs. A few years later, if its not to your liking. Harrow it smooth and replant. Time will work with you if you let it.

Good luck. Sounds like you got your work cut out for you.

I have done this for 20 years or so. Here after the trees and stumps are off we angle bade or take a motor grader sow the grass and roll. You can drill if you want. We just finished 5 acre it cost 720.00 and acre. to get ready for seed.

If there is lots of sticks and roots use a root rake on it or take the disk plow on it after it is pushed off. Then smooth up.

This is in my area I have never done this anywhere else.

Gertman, I am in the process right now and can only tell you what I tried. After the stumps were cleared I took a root rake and pulled averything into long piles the length of the clearing and about 100 feet apart. This way I could go down the lines with the loader on the tractor and scoop them up. Then they were put into the remaining burn hole. After the soil test I spread the lime and then disc it into the subsurface. After that I drug it to smooth it up and settle the ground. It took more trips than I would have liked but I only want it right the first time. If you don't have a drag and small to medium size log does a great job if the ground is relatively flat. Make sure that you have a soil test done to prevent wasting seed and lime. The clearing was so acidic (ph 4.6) that we would have wasted seed if we planted it now. We are going to have to wait until Jan or Feb and plant ryegrass to hold it until spring. With this years drought we won't plant fescue until next fall. We will put sorgham-sudan hybrid to cover the summer.
Where is SC are you?

blueridge":1jc2zo8c said:
Gertman, I am in the process right now and can only tell you what I tried. After the stumps were cleared I took a root rake and pulled averything into long piles the length of the clearing and about 100 feet apart. This way I could go down the lines with the loader on the tractor and scoop them up. Then they were put into the remaining burn hole. After the soil test I spread the lime and then disc it into the subsurface. After that I drug it to smooth it up and settle the ground. It took more trips than I would have liked but I only want it right the first time. If you don't have a drag and small to medium size log does a great job if the ground is relatively flat. Make sure that you have a soil test done to prevent wasting seed and lime. The clearing was so acidic (ph 4.6) that we would have wasted seed if we planted it now. We are going to have to wait until Jan or Feb and plant ryegrass to hold it until spring. With this years drought we won't plant fescue until next fall. We will put sorgham-sudan hybrid to cover the summer.
Where is SC are you?

Greenwood county

Gert,

Don't have any idea what tractor time goes for in S.C. but in my part of Texas you can hire a D8 dozer with root rake and operator for about $80/hour. I know because I just did this last year.

Run the root rake in one direction and then at 90°. This will break most of the roots off below the surface. Have the operator pile them up and you burn them.

Pull a harrow over the ground with your tractor until you get it smooth. Broadcast your grass seed, pull your harrow over again and pray for rain. Can't see why this should cost you more than $100/acre out of pocket.

Latest posts