charolais bull sell

Help Support CattleToday:

dac1

Reaction score
me and my father in law are going to charolais bull sale first sat in dec he was raised on a small farm and has always had cattle but me or him either one know any thing about a sale like this we are going with a buddy of his that usually buys his charolais bulls at these sales our cows are about 1000 lbs to 1200 on average what would you look for on birth weight weaning weight for these cows also what other info do they give you at this type sale just want to have a clue what to look for any info would be welcome. :lol:

Hey Beniot Kansas guy.... Did you realized in the last NCBA top 20 list of commerical cow/calf producers, 15 of the top 17 herds of the largest breeders in the nation used charolais and angus in the same program.. When noted Lee Leachman notes that the genetic potiental of charolais on the industry is unlimited.. P>S> did you notice Leachman is raising purebred charolais now!! Also Camp Cooley, Finks, R&K Angus, and LT ranch in south dakota just to name a few breeders!!

Look for a bull with a moderate BW between 75-85 (moderate for charolais) a decient charolais bull should weight over 625 for a 205 day weight... If he dosen't he should be cut.. Charolais are known for growth, they should grow. and look for a TM EPD over 10, if you keep replacement heifers back.. Also just like angus look for cattle sired by proven bulls. Or a proven family. Also the YW should be over 1250 some good bulls have been arround this but most are over this weight. I am a strong believer that a bull must have a 38 sctrl at 365 days... Those are just a few ideas to base a opinion on..

thaks dusty thats the kind of info needed. wondering what kind of numbers to look for. buddy of ours said they will have that info on the bulls :roll:

dac1, my first piece of advice is not to rely on someone else to do your homework for you. Secondly, go to the breeding/calving board and view my post labeled EPDs. The response to my post is an excellent resource from the university of Florida that explains the process of adjusting epds so you can compare say angus to charolais and be comparing apples to apples. As a sidenote, we AI angus based cows to charolais sires and have had excellent results. Good luck, Boone

Also, don't rely on EPD's entirely. You need to look a the bulls. The way they are built will indicate whether they will calve easily or not. Look for a long, smooth bull, where his neck runs smoothly into his shoulders and so on. You don't want one that is square in the shoulders (they bulge out from the neck). A smooth calf will be born easier than a blocky one.