Charolais bull questions

Help Support CattleToday:

bigrob

Reaction score
Could someone explain to me the benefits/drawbacks to using Charolais bulls please. I really don't know that much about the breed. Also what do you mean when you say a continental breed of bull? Thanks ahead of time

The various breeds are basicly separated into Continental, British, American and Brahman.
British are Shorthorns, Galloway, Angus Hereford, etc. Continental are Simmenthal (and the different variatys) Limousin, Charolaid, Blonde D'Agutaine, Maine Anjou, etc. Americans are mostly those that are Brahman influenced, Brangus, Santa Gertudis, Beefmaster, etc.

what are the cows you are looking to put the bull over?
I read a piece yesterday where a guy said "there is more difference than difference between breeds." I would say that is somewhat of a generalisation but in many way rings true. IMO its like with any bull compare him with his contemporarys, is he bigger, is he lighter, is he more heavily muscled than others in the same group or of others in other breeds.

Benefits: add pounds and the calves sell at the top of the market in KY, and probably due where you are too.
CSM

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering what the attraction to them was. I see alot of people running them on F1's here. I also see alot of people on here like them. How would they compare to a limousin bull on the F1's?

I have some F1 Char X Angus heifers due to calve to an Angus bull in May/June.
They are bigger, heavier and more muscular than my purebred Angus heifers. I think the Angus component allows them to fatten and mature earlier and easier and the Charolais puts more beef in near butt!
I am excited to see what the calves will be like.
As for limo's, what I am seeing here is that they may improve muscle scores but they don't seem to weigh well. To add to that they can produce leaner calves that can be harder to finish.
All my comments are somewhat of a generalisation, there is good and bad in pretty much every breed!

Sounds like they should be some nice cows. Will they be very large do you think? I like the limousins because my grandaddy ran 6 of them. I guess they are kind of nostalgic to me lol

Charolais bulls will add pounds at weaning. The char x calves also feed out fast and convert feed to pounds better than most other breeds. They will also grade well.

There are good and bad in every breed. Charolais have taken BW's down over the past 15 - 20 years. Most of our bull calves are in the 82 - 88 pound range at birth. There are a few exceptions. But most of them are in that range.

Let me know if I can help you find a good breeder in your area!!!! I will be glad to recommend someone I know that has a good reputation.

CB is Caustic Burno,

Back in the dark ages he had a bad experience with Char bulls and rightfully so. Chars used to be he11 on BW and some still are. All I run are Chars and have excellent results, I just make sure to pick the right bloodlines. 20 years ago was a different story, you'd spend your days pulling calves.

That's what I was thinkin isomade. I've heard alot of bad things about them that's why I decided to ask you guys. I've started to see alot more of them in the last couple of years around the house and some of the areas I work around. I was curious about the newer bloodlines you know, have they improved much and that sort of thing

bigrob":on8rxbsk said:
That's what I was thinkin isomade. I've heard alot of bad things about them that's why I decided to ask you guys. I've started to see alot more of them in the last couple of years around the house and some of the areas I work around. I was curious about the newer bloodlines you know, have they improved much and that sort of thing
They have improved leaps and bounds. My average BW is 80-85 pounds, I make sure and use a bull built for calving (smooth shoulders, smaller head ect..) the bulls I have now are out of Gridmaker, and Trademark.

That's good to hear isomade. Deenranch also told me that they had improved quite a bit with the b/w and all. Do you know much about limousin bulls?

bigrob":32p1s2pb said:
That's good to hear isomade. Deenranch also told me that they had improved quite a bit with the b/w and all. Do you know much about limousin bulls?
Nada, Red Bull would be the expert there. Uncle runs em and has some dam nice calves.

Latest posts