Changed breed of cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus":1z75bogh said:
hillbilly":1z75bogh said:
We got big money for our herd thinking the market couldn't
hold that high for long...wrong.
hillbilly
What do you consider long. Did you think you sold at the very top of the mkt. and would be able to start buying back cheaper the next week.
You may have still made the right decision.

We sold in May of '05.
Leased our farm for 1 year.
We will get it back April of '06.
We are not hoping for a crash, we would like to see it stay
strong and even grow.
America grows great eating beef now. I believe that has a
great deal to do with the growing demand for our product.
I know Dr. Atkins didn't hurt anything but he wouldn't have
been so sucessfull in the 1970's.
We were growing a bunch of tough dry crap back then and
almost put ourselves out of business.

If we don't get greedy we could ride this baby along while.

hillbilly

I would like to address the 1900# - 900# calves vs the 1200# - 850# calves.
First, hats off to you with 1200# cows weaning 850# calves. Now thats performance.
I think the "spread" between herds is a little difficult to swallow. The neighbor must have a herd of poor performing cows compared to your EXTREMELY excellent performing herd. And I'm not being critical of your facts, just pointing out that there must be EXTREMES in performance also.

Now back to the original question. Each breeder has to make decisions that they are comforable with. But, the idea of running more cows on same land isn't a thought out reason to me. If you are going to be able to run more cows AND produce lots more calf, that's OK. But, you have to put a value on your time & energy. Every animal, whether 1500# or 1200# has to be run thru the chute, vaccinated, bred, calved, etc. I would rather have a GREAT cow than two mediocre ones. Every cow has the chance of getting sick, have calving difficulties, have a calf that needs "help" after birth. It all adds up to my time & labor. As pointed out, a 50% larger cow does not eat 50% more feed, but they equally have to be cared for.

Also, here's an interesting report:
Researchers in Arkansas found that calf survivability is directly related to the aggressiveness of their mothers. In a study of more than 5000 births from 142 sires over 25 years, cows were classified for their aggressiveness. "Very aggressiv" cows had calf survivability at 93%, while "very attentive" cows were at 86%; "indifferent" cows at 77%; and "apathetic" cows at just 60%.
Five breeds were studied, with Angus cows ranked as the most aggressive, followed in order by Charolais, Polled Hereford, Hereford, and Red Poll.

Now this is kind of a good news / bad news sort of thing. Aggressive - meaning they will eat YOU at calving - or just that they are aggressive lickers. :shock: :D

<chuckle> I wish I were weaning 850 lb calves. We both put our calves on feed through out the winter, however when we did a comparison of how much feed the calves were consuming, it appeared to be pretty much identical, so I didn't bother bringing that into the equation.

He does wean more pounds than I do in the fall (~75lb more), so as was mentioned, those large frame animals do have a place if all you want to sell is weaned calves. We've never done a comparison of grass consumption, but I still believe that I get pounds of calf per pound of grass consumed.

His feedlot performance isn't as good as mine, although in fairness to his cattle, he likely needs to push them harder. If I push my Brits too hard, they just blow up like little butterballs :) I could likely push them harder than I do, but I'm happy with 3 lbs/day feedlot growth (I have a ferw exceptional animals gaining closer to 4 lbs/day).

Rod

Latest posts