Cattle pictures from this morning

Help Support CattleToday:

very nice! Those Hereford cows look good & thick. and the landscape picture is unbeatable! That's beautiful scenery. I think I'd like to see your part of the world one day.

Thank you Creek Drive, I would like to see your part of the world someday too, preferably in the summertime.

Thank you HD Rider, I really don't know the reasons behind painting barns black, but that does seem to be the way it is here. Those barns were originally used for tobacco.

HDRider":1usghqmd said:
Very nice.

Why do they paint barns black in Kentuck?

Yes. Lots of black barns in KY. I don't know why. There is a trend to put a pattern on the front. Looks like a quilt pattern. I don't know the story behind that either. Maybe one of the other KY users does.

Margonme":175adg5v said:
HDRider":175adg5v said:
Very nice.

Why do they paint barns black in Kentuck?

Yes. Lots of black barns in KY. I don't know why. There is a trend to put a pattern on the front. Looks like a quilt pattern. I don't know the story behind that either. Maybe one of the other KY users does.

If I remember correctly it is called the Appalachian Quilt Trail. We have one on both barns here at the main farm. One is a replica of a quilt that my mother made when she was a child, and the other one was my idea, At first I wasn't convinced I wanted quilt squares on the barns, then I saw one that another farmer had with a bull on it. So then I agreed to it, and had one drawn up with a Hereford bull on it.

I took a bike ride across Kentuk almost side to side, coming across a ferry in the west and going east from there. First time I had mergoo. I saw a lot of black barns and sheds. I saw the quilt thing on a few.

I thought maybe black hid the baccer stains.

gizmom":2kqsy9r8 said:
Nice group of cattle. I have never seen the quilt on front of a barn. That sounds really neat please share a photo when you have the time.

Gizmom

I hope someone does. If not, I will get a picture of one. Very intricate.

Lots of quilts on barns here (NE KS), too. Wife likes the look quite a bit. Something tells me that if we can get the new place bought and the old place sold, one of the first things doing is to get one of the old barns ready for a painted quilt.

WalnutCrest":ghacqehp said:
Lots of quilts on barns here (NE KS), too. Wife likes the look quite a bit. Something tells me that if we can get the new place bought and the old place sold, one of the first things doing is to get one of the old barns ready for a painted quilt.

Wow! I thought it was a Kentucky tradition. Some are beautiful.

The dark color helped to heat up the barn and cure the tobacco, the color came from creosote to repel termites. I googled the quilt trail it started in Ohio with Sue groves in honor of her mother and went through several states Kentucky had quite a few participate it has been in
48 states.

I've noticed most of the board fences in Kentucky are black, at least in the western part. I like them better than the white, if I ever build any, they'll be black.
The barn quilts are big around here too, really exploded the last few years.
I like those white faced cattle, both the blacks and the reds.

I'm from Virginia originally and was told by my wife who grew up on an amish farm that quilt patterns on barns there is part of the amish and Mennonite life style. Not sure if it's really a religious thing or more of a good luck charm.

HDRider":19hgpspq said:
Lazy M":19hgpspq said:
Black paint is almost 1/2 the price of white paint
I was always told barns are red because red was the cheapest.
Could be. I only priced white and black when I needed a barn painted.

Latest posts