Cattle of the European Alps

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
I've just returned from a three week holiday from Italy, Switzerland and Germany. I saw some nice cattle in some of the most picturesque meadows you'll ever see.

Braunvieh type cattle in the Italian Dolomities

Some type of dual purpose sim (i think :?: ) in lauterbrunnen Switzerland.

The scenery was spectacular but the cows with their bells really added to things.

Andrew

Great post thanks Andrew. I thought you were having a go of us at first as I scrolled down that first picture all I could see was a Clydesdale looking horse, I was going to comment that it was a bit long in the leg. When I saw those collars on the cows I thought they were some sophisticated GPS tracking device and you dashed my hopes saying they were just bells and then I saw the bike and I realised you were doing a Tour de France or Italy or something.
The Hills are alive with the sound of...............
Ken

Great pics. We have a lot of terrain that looks like that here but without the lush green. It makes me wonder how often any of those cattle have been on top of the surrounding mountains.

Nesikep":3ojhmqnx said:
Looks like home to me (I was born in Switzerland)... I like the cows in the 2nd to last pic...

So do I, wish I could find a few cows like that here in the states.

To the OP --- thanks for the photos. That is some beautiful country. Thanks for taking and sharing the photos. Love it!

cow pollinater":1skkcu1n said:
AllForage":1skkcu1n said:
Just about every semen company out there has montbelaird semen available if you ask.

And, I have two units of old fleck/simi semen (circa early/mid 1970s) that came with a full semen tank I purchased a couple of years ago.

Certainly some very nice and scenic pictures townfarmer.

cowpollinator wrote:
AllForage wrote:
Just about every semen company out there has montbelaird semen available if you ask.
The pictures of the white-face cattle if they were in Switzerland are Simmental and if they were in Germany they would be Fleckvieh.

There is a difference. Starting in 1830 original Simmentaler cattle from Switzerland were imported to the Bavarian Kingdom and to former Austria to improve the local dual purpose breeds. At these times the Simmental cattle were famous for their milk production and draught capacity, but were late maturing with little depth and coarse bones.

In 1920 the herdbook in Southern Germany was closed and Fleckvieh was developed as an independent breed. The breeding aims were focused on a "middle of the road type animal" with excellent muscling, good milk production and draught performance.

The Montbeliarde breed is French. The Montbeliarde breed belongs to the Jurassic branch (descended from Bos Frontosus) which the group of Pie Rouge breeds stems from. It therefore belongs to the Simmental and Fleckvieh families. The Montbeliarde has also injected Red Holstein breeding into the breed, which contributes to its darker red coloring.

There are 2 groups of breeders of Fleckvieh cattle, there is a beef group (which of course focuses on the beef production) at http://www.fleckvieh.com and then there are those that are focusing more on the dairy production ( which we as a registry represent) http://www.dairycattleregistry.com. When it comes to production, we have a member who has had a 2 yr old Fleckvieh produce 106lbs of milk on official DHI test.

Also on our website we have links to more than 80 Fleckvieh bulls and also over 70 Montbeliarde bulls.

wbvs58":3ff2381p said:
Great post thanks Andrew. I thought you were having a go of us at first as I scrolled down that first picture all I could see was a Clydesdale looking horse, I was going to comment that it was a bit long in the leg. When I saw those collars on the cows I thought they were some sophisticated GPS tracking device and you dashed my hopes saying they were just bells and then I saw the bike and I realised you were doing a Tour de France or Italy or something.
The Hills are alive with the sound of...............
Ken

The cattle husbandry actually seemed pretty traditional ken. I didn't see much that was high tech (where i was). In fact farmers were cutting and raking hay by hand. The milking alsoseemed pretty manual and traditional as well.

cow pollinater":3ff2381p said:
Great pics. We have a lot of terrain that looks like that here but without the lush green. It makes me wonder how often any of those cattle have been on top of the surrounding mountains.

They do take the cattle up pretty high from mid july til september hence the bells. I don't think its out of necessity though. From what I could gather traditional practices are maintained and subsidized not for any practical reason but to preserve traditional customs and ways of life. The average herd size in lauterbrunnen is about 12 cows with the farmer generally owning a pretty small plot of land in the valley and using alpine grazing leases in the summer.

Andrew

cbcr":29eqqb68 said:
Certainly some very nice and scenic pictures townfarmer.

cowpollinator wrote:
AllForage wrote:
The pictures of the white-face cattle if they were in Switzerland are Simmental and if they were in Germany they would be Fleckvieh.

There is a difference. Starting in 1830 original Simmentaler cattle from Switzerland were imported to the Bavarian Kingdom and to former Austria to improve the local dual purpose breeds. At these times the Simmental cattle were famous for their milk production and draught capacity, but were late maturing with little depth and coarse bones.

In 1920 the herdbook in Southern Germany was closed and Fleckvieh was developed as an independent breed. The breeding aims were focused on a "middle of the road type animal" with excellent muscling, good milk production and draught performance.

The Montbeliarde breed is French. The Montbeliarde breed belongs to the Jurassic branch (descended from Bos Frontosus) which the group of Pie Rouge breeds stems from. It therefore belongs to the Simmental and Fleckvieh families. The Montbeliarde has also injected Red Holstein breeding into the breed, which contributes to its darker red coloring.

There are 2 groups of breeders of Fleckvieh cattle, there is a beef group (which of course focuses on the beef production) at http://www.fleckvieh.com and then there are those that are focusing more on the dairy production ( which we as a registry represent) http://www.dairycattleregistry.com. When it comes to production, we have a member who has had a 2 yr old Fleckvieh produce 106lbs of milk on official DHI test.

Also on our website we have links to more than 80 Fleckvieh bulls and also over 70 Montbeliarde bulls.

Interesting info. Most of the cows looked dual purpose as opposed to the straight beef or dairy that we see in Australia. What i found interesting is that a farmer with 12 cows in Switzerland can feed a family usually with just a winter ski job to supplement. There's some heavy government subsidy to assist as well.

Andrew

I have always heard that farmers in that part of the world usually only keep a few cows, but they are mostly 100% AI thus negating the cost of a bull. Those are some beautiful pictures. It's hard to believe that many of my ancestors left places (Alsace and Swabia) like that to end up here in the hot muggy South.

NIce pictures! Jump back to the 90s and thats what our herd looked like.. although on flat ground and no bells.

Nesikep":2m3r9mxf said:
Those cows have been raised for generations to be well behaved..

AllForage.. I didn't think you'd like such big cows!

You know what happens when you assume....

I just returned from the alps last week. I was in Germany and Austria just a few km from the swiss border. I saw a lot of cattle just like that in similar settings. The scenery was beautiful. Everything seemed so peaceful and slow. Nice pictures. It looks like you enjoyed yourself the same as I did. We were probably close to each other and didn't even know it :D

Latest posts