Calf will not get up - breathing congestion

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
New calf this morning, not sure the birth time, maybe 8AM.

Calf won't get up. The calf also gurgles while breathing. Seems to hiccup, as well.

Head was down on ground with tongue partially out, lifted up head breating and disposition improved. Held head up, massaged body. All legs more. Picked up, to get the calf to stand, no response. Saw other posts on colostrum and Selenium/Vit E. Will follow-up on that.

Monitoring calf in field, keeping head erect.

Any ideas about the congestion?

Thanks all!

That sounds very much like one born here a couple weeks ago. I am not sure of the reason, but I suspect Lepto, since I lost two about a month premature and blood tests revealed Lepto. The Vet warned me we could have weak calves, but this was the first. I was told we need to vaccinate for Lepto twice per year. The calf weighed only 62 pounds out of a cow that had a 90 pound calf last year and an 83 pound calf as a 2 year old.

The calf born here was also making some gurgling sounds. I did what you are doing. Got him dry and kept rubbing him and moving his legs while keeping him up on his chest, while my husband went to get a bottle and a bag to tube him. We milked the cow, and tried to get him to suck, but he had very little suck response. His temperature was below the 102 that is normal, so we knew he was hypothermic also. When he would not suck we went ahead and tubed him with 1 1/2 pints of his mother's colostrum. I kept rubbing him and we lifted him to his feet where he balanced for a short time once we got the feet in position. He went down in a minute and I continued to rub him to imitate the cows licking. His temperature rose after the milk got in him. We tubed him again about 6 hours later, and by then his temp was normal and he was up on his chest resting normally. The next morning we offered him a bottle of his mother's milk, but he still did not suck, so we repeated tubing him. Later that day he was able to get up with a little help and took the whole bottle on his own. I helped him urinate and defecate by massaging him while he was sucking, because I always see the cow's do this. It worked and he seemed livelier after. The next morning he rose without help and I gave him a little from the bottle, then took it away. We were able to get him on the cow. By that evening he was sucking on his own. It took him a few more days before he looked as strong as the average new born, but he is now 2 weeks old and over 100 pounds.

Any ideas about the congestion?
They get rid of some of that with trying to stand and falling. Helps clear their lungs. I would do the Selenium and vit E. Plus get that colostrum in ASAP.
Katpau explained it well. Keep it going until it is stronger.

The congestion is embryonic fluid left over from birth, and since it was laying on it's side for so long it couldn't get it cleared out. Get it hacking, and standing anyway you can.

Here's our status:

We tubed him 1 1/2 quarts colostrum, per instructions. This was done approximately 7.5 hours after birth since we did not have supplies on hand.

Cleaned his body, continued to rub him, brushed him dry, and brought him into the barn.

At +12 hours, tubed him 2/3 quart milk (unimilk).

He is now more alert, warm to the hand, congestion is gone, ears are perked but still laying down. The calf tried to get up during the milking (+12 hours) but that was unsuccessful.

Mom is a new mom, and currently out in field adjacent to birthing location, sometimes mooing. We will get her into the barn with the calf first thing in the morning and hopefully she will address the calf's needs.

Any additional feedback will be appreciated. If all goes well overnight, we will probably need suggestions on how to reintroduce the mom to the calf, and get the mom to do the mom thing.

Thanks all!!

Best thing to do is keep them together, but make sure you feed him if he isn't able to nurse from her at first. Once they're apart for very long you take a huge risk of not getting her to take him back. Remember that with calves like this patience is a virtue, stay on top of the situation but give them both a chance.Good Luck!

Yep, I'll third (er, fourth) that.. keep the cow at least close to the calf, if keeping her with it isn't going to work. She had a bit of time to bond with the calf already, so that may be a saving grace here.. did the cow take care of the calf before? any licking?

Calf and mom are together and mom is trying to get the calf up by nudging and mooing.

Calf more perky, head up, compared to last night. Tried to bottle feed, calf wouldn't go for it although took a few swigs.

Tried to tube it but couldn't he's now much stronger and will need to restrain him. He tried to get up to get away but fell, of course.

Letting the two bond for a couple more hours, let his stress subside then we will bottle or tube feed him.

No congestion.

Happy Easter everyone, and thanks again for your advice.

Dont bottle feed the calf. If it's trying to get up it will eventually. Sounds like a hard birth and the calf is slow. If it hasn't gotten up and nursed on its own by tonight tube it. Do everything you can not to bottle a calf before it nurses mama.

That is good advice. Make sure he is on a good surface, that won't impede him rising. A smooth cement floor can make things more difficult. You do not want to starve him, but you do need him to be hungry so he will have the incentive to get up and nurse on his own. If the cow is there and he is refusing the bottle he may have been up and sucked when you were not looking. You can usually tell when there stomach is full by looking and feeling. Mine did not get up until the afternoon of day two and did not suck the cow without our help, I think, until the next morning. I did not actually observe him nursing again for several days but could tell by his stomach and attitude that he had nursed. It drove me crazy to not see him nurse, but the fact that he no longer was interested in the bottle even though he had sucked it well the afternoon of day two and the fact that he now easily rose and went up to the cow, made me pretty sure all was good. It was still a relief when I finally caught him nursing again.

If you have a scale, I would weigh him now. You can weigh him again, later, to see if he is eating. They will gain 2 to 4 pounds per day when they are eating well. If you have doubts about his consumption, this is one way to reassure yourself when you don't actually see them nurse.

We never saw him try to get up yesterday, but yesterday we weren't certain he'd be around today.

Today, he tries but cannot get up. Therefore, not sculling when we're not there.

We've lifted him up so that his feet are on the ground to see if he could stand on his own, but he couldn't.

We're certain the calf has front tendon problem on both feet preventing him from balancing.

Anyway, still looks healthy and alert.

Did you give either a Multimin OR the Selenium injection. You may be surprised at how it helps.
Both require a vet script here in CA BTW.

I gave mine Multimin before discussing it with my Vet. He later told me I would have been better to have given BoSe and a vitamin E injection, but that I should not do that after I had already given the Multimin. Check with your Vet for advice. Most calves with tendon problems will be able to at least rise to their knees and nurse from that position. Once he begins to rise, those tendon problems should gradually decrease. Almost all will recover within a few weeks.

Selenium is a real issue in this part of the country. Do your cows have access to a mineral with extra Selenium? It would be worth your money to do a blood draw on a few cows in your herd and send it up to the Oregon State Univ. to be tested on Selenium. Your Vet could use those numbers to help you chose a mineral supplement for your area. Selenium is a required mineral, but has a very narrow window between too low and toxic. Name brand mineral supplements can not include more than a small amount of Selenium. If your area is very low in Selenium, (like my area) it may require a prescription to obtain the right supplement.

Latest posts