calf bloated and died.

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
so sorry that you came home to your wife crying.an that you lost a calf to bloat.not all cases of bloat can be saved.an thats a sad fact of life.it couldve been caused from the spring flush of grass but who really knows.your going to lose cattle that s a sad fact of life.

ff, It's tough losing a calf, even worse the ones you put a lot of time into. Lots of times a bloated critter can be saved by the knife method. And like BB said not all can be saved, depends on what is the cause of the bloat. Doesn't sound like the diet caused it, and there sure isn't anything growing up here yet. Bad luck, You may not see bloat again, really isn't all that common up here. If it were me, I would milk the cow and enjoy it. Those Black Baldies give some good milk. :nod:

funny farmer":p4ghbigv said:
I told her all she wouldv'e had to do is stick a knife in his bellt to release the gas if it was that bad. I guess owning cattle and working out of town doesn't work out good. Someone has to be here all the time cheaking on them as i'm sure I could've saved him if I was home. It just sux cause I have a small heard so if one dies its a big loss for me.
Yes, it is hard to have cattle and work out of town ~ but much easier that you have your wife there who cares, and is willing to step up to the plate. Bloat takes them fast sometimes, and I'm thinking she did a great job with the tools she had. She cannot know how to stick the calf until you learn and show her, or the vet shows her then she can teach you. Hope you gave her a pat on the back, good help is hard to find. :nod: Taking care of cattle is a big job, and I am sure she did not get a raise in pay with the promotion. OK~ enough said there :shock:

Sorry you lost the calf. We have a small herd as well so I understand what the loss of one animal means. I don't know enough about how/where to stick them to advise you there.