Bloated calf

Help Support CattleToday:

I thought enterotoxemia occurred in the abomasum, not the rumen. I do know it is caused by the sudden build up of bacteria in the stomach.
This calf is ten weeks old and should be out of the woods for abomasal bloat.
Intestinal blood blockage

The bloat in calves that age is usually caused by "over eating disease" or Enterotoxemia. LA takes the infection out. The vets here might explain more eloquently……
I really don't know much about this Dave but from memory Oxytetracycline goes through the liver and is excreted through the gut and can affect the bacteria there so this may be the rationale for using it.

Ken

I really don't know much about this Dave but from memory Oxytetracycline goes through the liver and is excreted through the gut and can affect the bacteria there so this may be the rationale for using it.

Ken
Works for us. We don't see many of them anymore since we started giving cows a cheap clostridial vaccine pre calving in conjunction with scour shot.

Thanks for posting this. I have a 2 month old calf that also seems bloated. Comes and goes. Definitely gassy. Farts like a cow. I saw some diarrhea yesterday. Always seems alert and active. I'm going to give her some LA200 today and some mineral oil in case it's enterotoxemia as has been discussed. That said, when I research that it sure seems like that's just a calf killer - you wake up and they are dead. My calf has had it off and on for a couple weeks. Also, it seems to have to do with a calf overeating or surge eating - which also doesn't make sense for me because this is a calf on a first calf heifer and they are always together.

Any other ideas what it might be? I was going to have the vet look at her during her recent visit but, of course, she seemed totally fine that day. Eating healthy. On grass pasture with some hay added. Not seeing her nurse other cows or anything yet but has free choice of everything so no need to surge eat anything. Initially kinda thought maybe she just has some "hay belly" from eating too much roughage because momma is a light milking heifer too? But she does fart like a cow.... She is gassy. Sometimes I've seen their gut just go through "stages" as well as they build their rumen etc....

Anyway - any other thoughts appreciated.

Thanks for posting this. I have a 2 month old calf that also seems bloated. Comes and goes. Definitely gassy. Farts like a cow. I saw some diarrhea yesterday. Always seems alert and active. I'm going to give her some LA200 today and some mineral oil in case it's enterotoxemia as has been discussed. That said, when I research that it sure seems like that's just a calf killer - you wake up and they are dead. My calf has had it off and on for a couple weeks. Also, it seems to have to do with a calf overeating or surge eating - which also doesn't make sense for me because this is a calf on a first calf heifer and they are always together.
I would use castor oil if was me to get the guts moving. Mineral oil doesn't do that. Not saying oil of any kind will solve the problem, just pointing out that mineral oil is just a lubricant, castor oil kicks things into gear.

Edit to add: Have you seen this calf chewing cud?

Last edited:
If you are with them as much as we are, you will see a calf kicking at its belly, flopping on its side and kicking more. Catch them then and you will save them.

Yeah, this must be something else. Chewing cud, nursing, grazing, no belling kicking or laying on side, no evidence of pain at all, being totally normal. When I first started watching here I kinda thought she was a chronic bloater - but too young and pasture too grassy for that really.

Got it in the chute just now - lots of gas, putrid smelling "stool".

Got the oxy in her, some probiotics - which the vet swears by - and the mineral oil. Vet wonders if it's Coccidia - which we do get in wet years in calves this age. But I've never seen the gas with Coccidia like that. Vet also kinda sorta advised against the mineral oil going forward if the diarrhea is already there.

Yeah, this must be something else. Chewing cud, nursing, grazing, no belling kicking or laying on side, no evidence of pain at all, being totally normal. When I first started watching here I kinda thought she was a chronic bloater - but too young and pasture too grassy for that really.

Got it in the chute just now - lots of gas, putrid smelling "stool".

Got the oxy in her, some probiotics - which the vet swears by - and the mineral oil. Vet wonders if it's Coccidia - which we do get in wet years in calves this age. But I've never seen the gas with Coccidia like that. Vet also kinda sorta advised against the mineral oil going forward if the diarrhea is already there.
If you have not done so, I would get that calf a shot of 7-way vaccine. Something like this:

Yeah, thought about that. Entire herd is vaccinated annually with 7 way about 60 days prior to calving after getting double vaccinated at weaning. So, normally, this calf who is still on a double vaccinated dam would get vaccinated in another 3-4 months just before I fully wean.

I vax most calves with that when I tag them as newborns, then when we brand at 30-60 days age and again when we precondition at 5-6 months age.

This calf is around 10 weeks old and noticed this morning bloated looking.
What should we do for it? View attachment 37477View attachment 37478
To.me anyway, it just looked like that calf need to take a massive poop!
It's tail says it has been pooping regular tho.
Bet the oil did its job.

How the poop look when it finally took one?

Latest posts