Bulls foot

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
I've got a bull that I am planning to use this year, atleast I hope... His right rear foot has one of his toes that is really long and curling up. I know this isn't good, but hoping he can make it through the breeding season. He shows no lameness. He is 4 years old. Thoughts on getting thought the season or am I in for disappointment? All other feet look good. Thanks

I think that I would consider whether it is structural, meaning his confirmation caused it. Or if it grew deformed because of a previous injury. If confirmation was the cause, I don't think that you would want to use him. If the claw had been previously torn or injured, well nothing to pass on. A vet should be able to tell you. Or even a hoof trimmer.

I'd trim it, and that atleast gives him a better shot of having a trouble free season, or atleast one less issue to contend with.

That's not good... They have to be able to get up on two legs to get the job done so the back legs have to be sound on a bull if you expect him to breed more than one or two. He might be fine now but after breeding a few cows(if he can) he might come up lame and that's the end of your season.
That's all in addition to the obvious downside of reproducing problem cattle in a concentrated form by making problems half of your herd via the bull.

Latest posts