Wasn't typical foot rot

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Had a steer limping last week on his right hind foot and I could see swelling, debris from between his toes smelled like foot rot. They're out to pasture now and it's almost impossible to get them in at the barn or corral, so hand fed him Sustain calf boluses, which usually shows significant improvement within a day or two. Except he didn't.

Finally got him to the barn last night, right before dark (after I had to get a little Rambo through the woods as I was pushing him). On closer inspection, it looked like he split his toes, possibly on the rocks. But then I started digging around and I could actually hear a "clink" when my screwdriver hit this rock. Bless his heart, it's small but the edges are super sharp, and it was wedged waaaay up between the toes and impacted on one side. Quality time digging it out and flushing the wound, but he was a trooper - probably hurt so good, finally getting it out.

First pic was before I started working on him. You can see the horizontal gap where the rock was impacted. 2nd pic was the culprit. Didn't get a bloody, nasty "after surgery" pic.

IMG_20231007_133218184.jpgIMG_20231007_134933276.jpg

Well done TC. I think you are a trooper perservering and having a good look at it, well done. We have some very very capable women on here.
How did you restrain his leg to do the digging TC?

Ken
I have a soft nylon rope I generally use to restrain but didn't need it. He would occasionally stomp or jerk his foot while I was getting it out, but once I did, he pretty much just stood there and let me clean out all the gunk. Sweet relief! I kept him and mama at the barn last night but will probably let them join the herd this morning.

I have a soft nylon rope I generally use to restrain but didn't need it. He would occasionally stomp or jerk his foot while I was getting it out, but once I did, he pretty much just stood there and let me clean out all the gunk. Sweet relief! I kept him and mama at the barn last night but will probably let them join the herd this morning.
I've used powdered iodine rubbed liberally into the cleft between the toes with good results. Keeps out the bad stuff while everything heals.

I have even soaked a calf's hoof in warm epson salts water with a tad of Clorox added. Maybe something else was in the mix. It aided/supplemented the antibiotics and gave a clean healing.

I have even soaked a calf's hoof in warm epson salts water with a tad of Clorox added. Maybe something else was in the mix. It aided/supplemented the antibiotics and gave a clean healing.
Another good idea, thanks! I scrubbed with diluted iodine, using an old toothbrush to get all the nooks & crannies. And his temp was normal (101.7) but I did give him Draxxin to ward off potential infection and Banamine Transdermal for swelling & pain.

I am always interested how people tie legs up because in reality most of the time when they struggle it always seems to loosen off no matter how well you do it. I saw a video just recently of a fellow using an old ratchet strap, the narrower webbing type cut down and with a loop sewn in the end. It worked really well strapping the leg to a post, no knots tied just the overlapping of the strap and someone lightly tailing the end it remained tight. I have been going to get Pam to sew a loop in the end of one of my old straps on her horse rug sewing machine but haven't got around to it yet. It just rolls up and is easily stowed when not in use.

Ken

I've used powdered iodine rubbed liberally into the cleft between the toes with good results. Keeps out the bad stuff while everything heals.
When I first graduated the Vet practice I worked in had tins and tins of war surplus sachets of field dressing powders, I think it was Acraflavine, iodine and sulphonamides. It used to be very handy for things like that. I don't know how the surgeons took to treating wounds with bright yellow discolouration during the war though.

Ken