Bull Winter Management

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe I'm just overthinking it trying to keep him fit for next year. I haven't tested my hay I've just always assumed it was low quality b/c it's mostly Dallisgrass.

As full as your bull's belly is I'd say your right about your hay being low quality.

Allenw":2k7dtbw0 said:
As full as your bull's belly is I'd say your right about your hay being low quality.

So do you think if I supplemented with more 14% grain that he'll slack off the hay?

IMO - he doesn't need 14% - plain whole shell corn is a great supplement. It is 9% protein. The only reason you would need 14% is if your hay is super bad, like 6% protein. Texas Bred is my "go to" on nutrition now that I don't have hubby (was a nutritionist) to advise me.

jwimberly":4woqlq4b said:
Allenw":4woqlq4b said:

So do you think if I supplemented with more 14% grain that he'll slack off the hay?

Your worried about your bull getting fat and now your wanting to feed an energy supplement?

That's right Jeanne, trying to reduce hay intake to take care of that "bloated" looking belly. That way come March I can throw him in with the ladies and he can hit the ground running instead of waddling around!

The hay gut is from low quality hay as soon as he is on some good quality grass the hay gut will disappear. If it bothers you that much find some SBM. or CSM, or some 32% to 40% protein cubes and feed him around a pound a day and it will help him digest the low quality hay.

Well just an update. I've been feeding about a pound per day of 12% pellets with rumensin and my bull is looking much better. I doubt rumensin is necessary but I didn't want to stock 2 different feeds. He hasn't been getting that huge bulging hay gut anymore.
28svqjb.jpg

I think the bull looks alot better, and the rumensin may be helping his system process the hay better. We are having some issues and the vet has suggested that we might need the rumensin to help the gut tract work better, and utilize the hay better. we are going to try it after all we have had to deal with this fall with the excessive amounts of rain and "spring-like" pasture growth.

Latest posts