Winter rations

Help Support CattleToday:

HatCreekCattleco

Reaction score
Im interested to know how do all of you winter your dry, spring calving cows? How many winter them on only good hay? If you do supplement, what and how much do you feed?

Im interested to know how do all of you winter your dry, spring calving cows? How many winter them on only good hay? If you do supplement, what and how much do you feed?
I have a spring and fall herd. They run on corn stalk residue all winter. They get 25lbs corn silage/ryelage, free choice grass hay, and free choice Purina wind and rain with avala.

Hay. Salt block and loose minerals. 2 years ago 83 head got 2 3x4x8 bales of grass hay a day. Twice a week one of those grass bales got substituted by an alfalfa bale. Worked out to about 28 pounds of hay a day of which 4 pounds is alfalfa.

This winter our cows are getting about 14 lbs hay 8 lbs S01 oats and 10-15 lbs oats straw and free choice mineral.
Sold some oats to a guy who's been feeding just oats and straw for 25 years.
With the drought hay prices have sky rocketed making one of the more expensive feeds.

We feed some screenings pellets to bump protein and save a bit of hay until things start thawing out in late March. They can do fine on our best hay through calving to green grass after that.

Mine are strip grazing on stock piled sudex and what volunteer rye they can pick up. I did buy some 37% cubes and plan on giving them some a couple of times a week, about half of what I normally feed them. The strip grazing wasn't planned but the swather broke down, moving and the wife getting sick that's how things ended up being.

Only hay and loose mineral. Not supplements and not much alfalfa hay. Some years no alfalfa hay. We give them plenty of it, enough there is some for them to clean up in the afternoon as our hay is dryland hay, mostly crested wheat. 9-10% protein. They have done fine on it for 25 years. We do make sure they have plenty. Our temperatures in winter could be very cold, plus
wind is a factor. The cows had good protection but it was still cold. Grass hay keeps them warmer than feeding straight alfalfa. We had artesian wells so they always had access to warmer water.

Biggest difference is location.

I have 2 calving groups. The majority calve Jan/Feb. Small group calve Sept/Oct.
Start feeding baleage usually in Nov. thru April to both groups and replacement heifers.
Heifers also get whole shell corn. 5#/hd/day.
All free choice loose mineral and water.
Baleage is 1st cutting grass and little clover, 15-16% protein.
So both groups are raising calves most of winter.
Have some 2nd cutting big dry bales.

Mine will graze fescue during part of the winter, some years better than others. Other then that they get hay, some is good and some is just ok but that is what I have. They can like it or lump it.
This is what we've done this winter. Have fed very little feed compared to other years we were feeding cubes every other day. Cows look great still. That's what got me to asking, I think I've wasted a lot of money years past.

Biggest difference is location.

I have 2 calving groups. The majority calve Jan/Feb. Small group calve Sept/Oct.
Start feeding baleage usually in Nov. thru April to both groups and replacement heifers.
Heifers also get whole shell corn. 5#/hd/day.
All free choice loose mineral and water.
Baleage is 1st cutting grass and little clover, 15-16% protein.
So both groups are raising calves most of winter.
Have some 2nd cutting big dry bales.
I agree location plays a huge part. Fescue and rye grass has done well here so far this year.

Latest posts