Winter rations

Help Support CattleToday:

Read back on some topics of Stockpile Fescue. Normally my stockpile fescue is better protein than my hay.
I've actually studied your stockpiling posts quite a bit stalking these forums. I've learned alot from them also I really appreciate you sharing it sir, very good information. I'm planning one of these years to designate a pasture to let go for stock pile. As it is now I rotate, but I've been haying what's ahead of me in the summer. So I only get a few weeks in the fall for the fescue to really gain. I also have not tried the true strip grazing. My fields are all just 40 acre pastures. I really need to break down and do the hot wire deal.

You have in some ways a better system than you think. Being able to hay ahead of you is great.
I have forgotten where you are but I don't start stockpiling until September 1st. Graze or hay it down just before then and apply Urea.
40 acres of good stockpile (weather permitting) should winter a lot of cows if managed well. I could winter 40 cows on 40 acres in a decent year.

Spring calving cows are grazing stock piled native with 38% cubes twice a week. I use the Noble Foundation's guidelines, adjusting according to the cows' condition -https://www.noble.org/news/publications/ag-news-and-views/2019/october/grazing-native-grass-pastures-is-more-economical-than-feeding-hay-to-cows-in-winter/

We'll probably have to start feeding some hay in mid to late February due to the drought year; normally only the bull and a few fall calvers are fed hay during the winter.

Have to feed hay here during the winter. In the last 2 + months there has been 2 days that the fields were not white. Not real deep this year but constantly covered.

Feeding a 4x5 bale a day in central WI. Been feeding since about Dec 1, probably will until mid may. Snow is about knee deep with a 2 inch crust from the rain we got the other week.

Feed spring calving cows 100% dry hay from deep snow (hopefully thats December and not October) thru green UP in May. Anything that doesn't maintain gets shipped. No such thing as stockpiling or grazing all winter UP here.

I keep my replacement heifers separate and they get 4-5lbs of corn a day thru the winter.

I've actually studied your stockpiling posts quite a bit stalking these forums. I've learned alot from them also I really appreciate you sharing it sir, very good information. I'm planning one of these years to designate a pasture to let go for stock pile. As it is now I rotate, but I've been haying what's ahead of me in the summer. So I only get a few weeks in the fall for the fescue to really gain. I also have not tried the true strip grazing. My fields are all just 40 acre pastures. I really need to break down and do the hot wire deal.
It will help if you put your general location in your profile. I know you said what area you are in in your introduction post. But everyone may not have seen it. Many answers to questions on this Board change based on your general region.

How many have access to cornstalks or other crop residue to utilize?
We do! Corn stalls, winter rye drilled where I chop silage, soy bean stubble. Its surprising how much time they spend hanging out in the bean stubble. Must be finding something they like.

It is amazing how much cow feed is in an acre of corn stalks. The big drawback is water and windbreaks.