Wheat , or triticale for winter grazing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Which provides more early forage. I don't think I can get any winter oat seed. So wheat and triticale are my only options. I can have it in the ground in a few days. I may add 20 lbs of spring oats per acre to the mix. Thanks.

I was under the impression that for any of the winter cereal type crops to produce seeds, they needed to vernalize. As far as using it for grazing and a possible hay crop, I wouldn't think it would matter. Also, I don't know about your climate either. You may not get enough cool weather for it to vernalize anyway. Just my $.02. Lots of smarter people on here than me.

I was under the impression that for any of the winter cereal type crops to produce seeds, they needed to vernalize. As far as using it for grazing and a possible hay crop, I wouldn't think it would matter. Also, I don't know about your climate either. You may not get enough cool weather for it to vernalize anyway. Just my $.02. Lots of smarter people on here than me.
We definitely get cold. Wheat and triticale are planted commonly around here. I plant it regularly, I don't notice much early growth/grazing though. I am hoping for a solution it seems not to take off until March . Maybe I am planting it to late ? Maybe more N at planting ? I will get 6 inches of water on it by November 106C187A04-0E12-4CC0-A205-65A4F6D6C1BB.jpeg

Last edited:
We definitely get cold. Wheat and triticale are planted commonly around here. I plant it regularly, I don't notice much early growth/grazing though. I am hoping for a solution it seems not to take off until March . Maybe I am planting it to late ? Maybe more N at planting ? I will get 6 inches of water on it by November 10View attachment 21235
We use a grazing blend of triticale wheat and rye and have had excellent results over the last few years. We also plant triticale for our hay and have had excellent results. We find it a little more drought tolerant. The blend seems to work best for us as each product comes on at a little different time and extends our grazing season

I knew an old guy up in the Columbian Basin. He rented fields where they grew Sweet corn. After their harvest he planted Trit. With rotational grazing he grazed until about the end of the year. Fed hay through January and part of February. Then got 2 rotations over the ground until the corn farmers wanted it back in early May.

3628E01B-E7F7-43BF-9379-52D7A70694C0.png
This trit was planted 2 years ago. This was 55 days after planting. Planted sept 20th, and I took this pic the 15th of November after 3 full irrigation's (6 inches of water) .I expected more growth? I did not apply any N as there was none available.

View attachment 21314
This trit was planted 2 years ago. This was 55 days after planting. Planted sept 20th, and I took this pic the 15th of November after 3 full irrigation's (6 inches of water) .I expected more growth? I did not apply any N as there was none available.
I'd be grazing that for sure. Wait to long and it will outrun you

We tried trickle here but found it provided less grazing than winter wheat. I was told later by a grower who sells Tricale seed it was because we only sowed 60 lbs per acre. Too see an increase in grazing we would need to sow at least 110-120 lbs per acre. That makes Triticale too high and not a viable option.

We tried trickle here but found it provided less grazing than winter wheat. I was told later by a grower who sells Tricale seed it was because we only sowed 60 lbs per acre. Too see an increase in grazing we would need to sow at least 110-120 lbs per acre. That makes Triticale too high and not a viable option.
We plant at 100 lb per acre. Except for grazing we use the blend that includes rye and wheat. 120 would indeed hurt the wallet

I planted SlickTrit 2 triticale today at 120 pounds per acre , along with 100 lbs of urea. It is definitely expensive.

I use to pay $20.50 per bag, it was $27.00 per bag and ideas was $1,090 per ton

Latest posts