Replacement Heifer winter feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Jrebyank

Reaction score
What are are you guys feeding replacements. I want to build good frame but not break the bank at the same time.

I wean them at the end of summer, they go onto dry winter grass and are supplemented with a grain mix 14% CP, mostly barley and sorghum. I weigh them regularly and aim for about .75 kg gain per day and adjust the feed accordingly.

Ken

Mine get the better hay free choice, and I feed them about 3-4 lbs of a ration including but not limited to barley, oats, and Rumensin.

This winter, mine are free choice on good grass hay and premium wrapped 2nd cut alfalfa. Because of the wrapped hay quality I'm not feeding any grain this winter to calves.

Plus all the mineral and salt they need.

Last winter never had wrapped hay, so fed 6 lbs of mixed beef ration (rolled oat/barley/corn/beet pulp/molasses mixture) per head per day.

We winter replacement heifers on stock-piled grass, hay, mineral and cubes once a week to keep them handy. Start 'em out like you expect them to hold out. That being said, we're in North Central Texas so we deal with little to no extreme cold and snow. We do have to contend with cold rain, though.

Haven't kept any back for a number of years now, when I did I kept them in a grass run with a roll of my better hay for a couple weeks after weaning. Also start them on some calf creep graduating them to range cubes as they learn what a feed bag is. After that it's on to their own pasture, with hay depending on time of year, until turning out with the rest of the cows at about 14 months of age. No hand pampering here....

Location - location. We all have different feeds available and different needs.
I do not have range cubes available at all.
I have mostly grass hay (baleage) about 15-16% protein - so VERY good. My replacement heifers get full feed baleage and about 5# whole shell corn, high quality mineral and great health program. WSC works for me because of the high protein in my hay. They are turned out on grass when the cows get turned out (late April - 1st of May) (after they are bred). They never get fed grain again as a routine feed. Cows survive on grass & hay.

We normally wean ours and run them on short wheat pasture, free choice wheat hay and Vita Ferm minerals. This year the wheat isn't growing so using what we have for the steers. All the heifers are still together. They are getting a bale of wheat hay and a bale of Alfalfa free choice. Feed 20% cubes once a say. Try to feed 1.5-2 lbs a day and they have grass pasture. They are growing well. The sale heifers will be moved to any remaining wheat after the steers are sold. The replacement heifers will likely remain on the current ration till green grass. We h keep out the Vita Ferm stress tubs and mineral.

Grass hay, 7 lbs
Oat, pea and barley silage 6 lbs dry matter basis
Pea screening pellets 3 lbs

Hay and silage through bale processor, pellets top dressed. Hay is 11% protein, silage 5 and pellets 18%+

My best hay free choice, and 5-6 pound of DDG/shelled corn. I keep every calf born on the place 90 days past weaning, and they get the same thing.

Latest posts