Bull trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

RCP

Reaction score
I already know what Dun is going to tell me, but,,, I have just started breeding season, put my blk saler bull in couple of weeks ago with about 28 cows with young calves, and he keeps leaving them and getting over in my hay field. I am wondering if he has " changed teams " any way I do not want to get rid of him now, but he has to quit jumping the fence, any ideas ?rcp

put all your cows n dresses and fix there hair.maybe they will be more attractive to him.i got a saler bull and he is a very aggressive breeder.

I just sent my 4 yo Hereford to auction, he was a great breeder and served us and his harem well. But it took 5 attempts and a 65 horsepower MF tractor to drag his rear onto the trailer. He did not want to go!

O.K. Dun, you didn't say - send him to the sale barn?? Anyway that is what I have decided to do. Cut back my herd while they are so high, and maybe but some when they are cheaper. I usually do just the opposite. Tax man said it might be good to show a profit for a change ?? rcp

CowgirlUpNY":2qbtny5b said:
I just sent my 4 yo Hereford to auction, he was a great breeder and served us and his harem well. But it took 5 attempts and a 65 horsepower MF tractor to drag his rear onto the trailer. He did not want to go!
few years back my neighbor did about the same thing with his limi bull,, he got mad roped him,, and it was hotter than a set of jumper cables at a redneck picnic that day.... drug his ass all the way to the gate of my trailer, and thats where he died

Shipping isn;t always the solution. But in this case I agree with Jeanne and her reasoning.

A bull wandering away from his cows is often a sign of poor libido and that is usually a sign of low fertility. Don't just assume he bred them while he was with him.

If the cows are all open and ready for him, I'd say ship him. He's got enough to hold his interest...if he's interested.

As far as getting a bull to go where you want, rope a hind leg. Leave enough slack to get it above the hock and then leave slack until they act up. Then just dally up and take their leg(and a whole bunch of their power) away from them. They can be as badass as they want and about the third time you jerk that leg out from under them and set them on their butt they get gentle pretty quick. I've loaded bulls that we couldn't get gathered straight from the pasture into the trailer with no corrals wth no problems. I've always been horseback when I did it but I guess a tractor would work if you take your time.
WARNING- Do NOT use that method if there are more than a few bulls in the same area. The pecking order changes fast when one rank bull gets "trained" and things get bad really fast. You can wind up tied to the losing end of a bull fight.

A good young bull no matter the breed would be trying to herd his ladies into a knot...Thats where the term 'Herd Bull" came from. I always get a kick outa watching a young bull trying to corral the older dames in the herd... If I have a young bull and he does not exhibit this behavior his first breeding season, he wont be around for the second....I agree with Kersie....that bull has libido problems

ALACOWMAN":23t1snhp said:
CowgirlUpNY":23t1snhp said:
few years back my neighbor did about the same thing with his limi bull,, he got mad roped him,, and it was hotter than a set of jumper cables at a redneck picnic that day.... drug his ass all the way to the gate of my trailer, and thats where he died

I don't know where his final destination was, but the check came today and I'll be building my horse barn with it - well, some of it anyway.

The best part was when we got to the auction, he walked off that trailer like he'd done it all his life. I often put words in my animals head and his words went something along the lines of "OK, this is what we're doing now, alright well, let's get on with it shall we?"

I firmly believe that had he been run into a barn daily and handled regularly, we wouldn't have had near the trouble that we had. But in the end, I was the one that put that rope over his head.

Sorry... didn't mean to hijack. :tiphat:

houstoncutter":372go3z3 said:
A good young bull no matter the breed would be trying to herd his ladies into a knot...Thats where the term 'Herd Bull" came from. I always get a kick outa watching a young bull trying to corral the older dames in the herd... If I have a young bull and he does not exhibit this behavior his first breeding season, he wont be around for the second....I agree with Kersie....that bull has libido problems

I am totally the opposite on this. I want the bull to be an agressive breeder but if the bull is trying to make the cows go somewhere and I am trying to get them to go somewhere else he is in trouble. I want a cow to be the boss and do what I ask of her and the bull follow. I will almost always sell one that exhibits the behavior you like.

Kenny T...yea it can be a real pain in the a$$, but I have found in the brutal conditions my bulls had to work in..I needed a hot to trot bull... I also usually kept around a little extra bull power. When we have our normal weather, breeding seasons are a tough time of the year for the spring calving cattle.

I don't see how a bull can stand to breed in July in your area. I would have to put my bulls in an AC barn and turn the cows in. Too darn hot and humid for me or them.

Latest posts