Bull testicles

Help Support CattleToday:

Horticattleman

Reaction score
Typically how old should a bull be before his nuts drop. I am planning on buying a bull from a guy who says the bull is 16 mos. old but his nuts haven't dropped yet.?

Are they supposed to be "tucked up there" when they are younger, and not look like the large coin purse hanging way down like you see in sire directories? Sorry, but I kept back my first bull calf, and was thinking of having the vet out, because his testicles seem to be sitting in there like an egg laying on it's side rather than straight up and down. I am unsure if this is normal or not. He is a May 1st calf.

Irregular testicle position and shape can lead to fertility problems. If the nuts are sitting high on a 16 month old bull, he will have bad semen, more often than not. They stay too warm when held up high and causes higher semen mortality rates. Go by a bull that lets them swing.

Same deal if the testicle is sitting in the scrotum wrong, probably will have a lowere semen quality. Testicles should hang vertically, down in the scrotum.

When its cold, some bulls will pull their nuts up high, but they will then descend them to normal presentation.

environmental temperature can play a big part in how far they hang down.

Horticattleman":2bbjwlkw said:
Typically how old should a bull be before his nuts drop. I am planning on buying a bull from a guy who says the bull is 16 mos. old but his nuts haven't dropped yet.?

A bulls testicles should be "dropped" from day 1. If they aren't you have a problem. The only time they should be "sucked up" close to the body is if it is COLD out.

randiliana":ul2atpgn said:
Horticattleman":ul2atpgn said:

A bulls testicles should be "dropped" from day 1. If they aren't you have a problem. The only time they should be "sucked up" close to the body is if it is COLD out.
I ditto that, and ENNOT - you have such a way with words - right to the point, I like that! :D

What age is the latest that you've seen them drop and still be normal?

I cull everything that isn't close to perfect at weaning so I don't know how they will develope later. I know some breeders don't even look at the scrotum before 18 months.

I would not consider keeping a male in tact if he wasn't born "dropped".
Bulls are a dime a dozen (half your calf crop is normally a bull calf). Why would you consider keeping one that has ANY possible flaws.
When people turn a bull out at breeding time, they need the absolutely best fertility bull possible or their whole year of breeding could be messed up.
Anything that leaves this farm with testicles has no known "flaws" or "maybes". There is enough risk with selling a bull.

Horticattleman":3nliicx6 said:

Sounds to me like the seller is trying to get you buy the n--.

You buy this bull and you will pass fertility problems on for generations to come.

Loan that guy a knife. Go somewhere else to buy.

novatech":3jfdvdag said:
Horticattleman":3jfdvdag said:

Sounds to me like the seller is trying to get you buy the n--.

You buy this bull and you will pass fertility problems on for generations to come.

Loan that guy a knife. Go somewhere else to buy.
I have to agree - this is NOT a reputable breeder. I would NEVER buy anything from this guy, either he/she is totally unknowlegeable or trying to pull the wool over your eyes :shock:

I wouldn't due business with that fellow, if he isn't crooked he is dumber than a guy peeing on an electric fence for the second time.

We have a bull calf about 1 month old already and only 1 testicle has dropped..... what are the chances of the other one dropping, or how long should one give it.

Or is there something we can do to help it along? I am fairly new to all this so any help please.

They are usually there at birth. If not, probably won't be. Need a vet to castrate when they don't drop. Are you sure there aren't two? When you check, pinch the top of the sack so one doesn't "slip" back up inside out of reach. They can be tricky :p

Lol yes they can be tricky I have seen that watching castrating.
Ok going to have to check on him again then too see if there arent two in there. Just looked like only one the other day. We didnt check it close enough maybe like how you said.

Latest posts