Bull Swinging Head

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that my bull was acting wierd. He was just sitting there swinging his head non stop, kind of like he was trying to get a fly that was bothering him, but for once, there were no flies on him. I know bulls will swing there head, but he has never really done this before, except if there was a fly bothering him, but even then he stops after one or 2 swings.

He doesnt do this all the time, just randomly he'll start swinging his head and stop after a minute or 2. When he isnt swinging his head he acts normal like he always does.

Why would he be doing this?

Without more detail, my guess is he smells a lady who is inticing to him.

My bull is very docile, except when he is courting. At that time he kind of starts acting like a stud horse.

Any other cows in other pastures in your proximity? IF he can smell them, from a long ways off, he may be thinking about them.

He could have something stuck in his nose and can't get it out. Could be anything.

If he is eating and drinking in his normal fashion, it is a good sign.

My guess is he is sick of being a sissy show brammer and wants to be a real brammer with a field full of inticing cows.

Well, there is one other heifer around, but there is no other cattle for miles (at my schools ag farm, in the middle of Houston). He has never done this before. Now all of the sudden he is constantly.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":31w6xfws said:
Well, there is one other heifer around, but there is no other cattle for miles (at my schools ag farm, in the middle of Houston). He has never done this before. Now all of the sudden he is constantly.

What in the world do you plan to do with this bull? Does your ag program have a market for the critters you pamper and make fat?

If the animals are in the middle of houston, that must mean you don't have anyplace to take them when you are done showing them...where do they go?

You cannot keep a breeding age bull cooped up. Sell him to someone that saw him in a show and liked him...or do the unthinkable. Butcher him and have one heck of a cook out for all the folk that help you during that feller's show career.

To put it bluntly...the bull is all horned up. He is breeding age and can't contain himself. Before long he will get frustrated and bored and start tearing stuff up and maybe even hurt someone.

My family just bought some land and we are putting them out there in about 2 weeks. Im gonna live out there while I go to college. We are also gonna buy a couple more cows to put out there too.

I had a bull like that once. Everytime I drove up he would start swinging his head.

Finally figured it out...............................

He liked the radio in the truck!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had to change the station to "Talk Radio" from then on.

Didn't want him to start "Dancing".

MikeC":97bf1tep said:
I had a bull like that once. Everytime I drove up he would start swinging his head.

Finally figured it out...............................

He liked the radio in the truck!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had to change the station to "Talk Radio" from then on.

Didn't want him to start "Dancing".
:shock: :lol: :lol:

TxCoUnTrYbOy":27c5mhw4 said:
My family just bought some land and we are putting them out there in about 2 weeks. Im gonna live out there while I go to college. We are also gonna buy a couple more cows to put out there too.

Good for you, good luck to ya.

txcounryboy
Muratic's reply was dead on. Young bulls, even with a few girls, become bored and will tend to take their frustrations out on other things.Take care your not one of them.

Bullbuyer":1squ5ewo said:
Check his ears - if that's possible without getting hurt - he could have any of a number of insects taking up residence or a burr or a brier ..........

I would put him in the chute and check out his ears nose and mouth. If all this is OK then Mike might be right. He may have a song in his head.

Does he look North with a look of longing in his eyes?

I bet if you get real close and listen when he is throwing his head you will hear hear him humming the tune to "Oklahoma"

Hes not throwing his head, he just doesnt have enough room to dance there in that big city. :D

Latest posts