bull signs

Help Support CattleToday:

I should add that I only discipline when I have a planned escape route. My feeders are situated so that I can grow wings quickly.

> One of my bulls is bucket raised.
> He likes to push me out of the way
> when I feed, but if he gets a
> little rough, I give him a good
> smack on the nose. They don't like
> that. He discontinues the rough
> play. I don't turn my back on him
> for the simple fact nobody can
> deny. His size dictates that
> respect.

> never say never. i'm sure there
> are stories of some bulls who were
> great protectors of the women
> & children but generally
> speaking, the vast majority of
> them are not.

> if your goal is predator control,
> i don't think your best option is
> your bull. something we've never
> tried, but i've heard other folks
> swear by it, is a donkey.

My Bull may be an exception.When I work my cattle,I usually run the Bull through first,to get him out of the way.He does not just go out in the pasture and hide,he stays around and pays attention to what is going on with the herd.He does not get aggressive with me,but he does show concern with what is happening with the cows.He only goes off into the sunset when the cows are all done. The best predator protection you can get for my money is a guardian dog. There are several breeds,the one I happen to have is a Komandor and he is wonderful,very intelligent,and attached to the cows and the goats,and stays with them 24-7.We have a substantial coyote population in our area.I have never lost an animal, but my neighbor has lost calves and cows(usually when she was down calving).

We had a 1/4 hereford heifer with a set of bats on her head that will stand over her calf and protect it. She has had three calves already and is a coming 4 year old and has had to ward off coyotes with two of the calves for sure...

[email protected]

> We had a 1/4 hereford heifer with
> a set of bats on her head that
> will stand over her calf and
> protect it. She has had three
> calves already and is a coming 4
> year old and has had to ward off
> coyotes with two of the calves for
> sure...

Thanks for all the info concerning the bulls. I have a Ginny and a cut Jack out there already. Thanks to urban sprawl we are having a real increase in the number of coyotes.

[email protected]

Latest posts