BULL SELECTION

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I have all butt went insane over as to which bull to pick for my added herd bull. I'm stuck in between another black angus or a charlias. I'm pleased to death with the solid black calves , but on the other hand not the slow growth rate. My bull doesnt have the highest ww and yw by the way so I quess that was to be expected. Thought that i would just get a better angus bull with better numbers, but something happend in the meantime. I had purchased a bred herford about 3rd stage, and a poor looking one at best. She calved in about 2 weeks and out came a charloias looking unit. To make a long story short he grew to 650lbs in 6 months. It was taking every bit of 10 months for me to reach that with my angus offspring. When i sold the group he brought more than any other. Even more per pound for that matter! I was so stuck on black, but am somewhat confused now. I'm after the most weight in the shortest amount of time!

So what will it be ANGUS OR CHARLOIAS??

NEED INSIGHT ON THE MATTER!!

Thanks

Rod

I am running a Charolais bull on some sorry lookin Longhorns and Longhorn mixes. The calfs I am getting so far all look like Charolais,light tan or whiteish,polled and put on weight like a freight train. Them Longhorns are good mommas,calf easily and will survive on almost anything that is in the pasture. I expect them calfs will bring some decent money come sale time. :cboy:

Rod":3bboqrjl said:
I have all butt went insane over as to which bull to pick for my added herd bull. I'm stuck in between another black angus or a charlias. I'm pleased to death with the solid black calves , but on the other hand not the slow growth rate. My bull doesnt have the highest ww and yw by the way so I quess that was to be expected. Thought that i would just get a better angus bull with better numbers, but something happend in the meantime. I had purchased a bred herford about 3rd stage, and a poor looking one at best. She calved in about 2 weeks and out came a charloias looking unit. To make a long story short he grew to 650lbs in 6 months. It was taking every bit of 10 months for me to reach that with my angus offspring. When i sold the group he brought more than any other. Even more per pound for that matter! I was so stuck on black, but am somewhat confused now. I'm after the most weight in the shortest amount of time!

So what will it be ANGUS OR CHARLOIAS??

NEED INSIGHT ON THE MATTER!!

Thanks

Rod

Could the problem be the cow herd, inadequate milk for your expectations? You must not have a forage problem if one cow could raise a good calf. How much Angus is in hte cow hwrd. Breeding primarily Angus cows back to an Angus bull with depress (to a degree) to potential weights of the calves. It's the recombining genes thing. If that's the case, any breed of bull would give you some additional growth.

dun

One thing to keep in mind is BW from the Char bulls. Some can throw some very large calves and you have to make sure your herd is easy calvers unless the EPD's indicate a low birth weight bull. The largest calf I had born this year was a bull out of an Angus bull and Hereford cow. The smallest was out of the same Angus bull and a Red Angus cow.

Rod,
My advice on the question you asked is to go with your gut. I would say that it is probably a trade off anyhow - black will bring more $$, however the Char calves will weigh more, thus bringing more $$. So which is it? To me, by the tone of your message, your gut is to keep the Char bull because of his size.

I totally understand your situation. I was in the same predicament a little over a year ago. I know your question didn't involve this...are you willing to get another bull, besides one of these 2? From your message, I can tell you want the best of both worlds (black/size)...and you can. Get a black Limo.

Sounds to me like you answered your own question. Could have been just one good cow though. You know them Herefords.. :D

I'd go with a lower BW Charolais and see if that dosn't make you some money :)

If you want to stay with black get a black Gelbvieh or a Balancer bull-this will keep them black and also put on the size. If you want to go with Charolais make sure that you get a small birth weight bull to avoid alot of calf pulling and heart aches.

My commercial herd is mixed breeds averaging about 1000-1200lb cows. I have a black brangus bull running with my angus bull and his calves are very impressive so I'm pretty sure my problem lies with my angus bull. I'd get another brangus but I'm concerned about the ear.

Rod":2g2htlqh said:
My commercial herd is mixed breeds averaging about 1000-1200lb cows. I have a black brangus bull running with my angus bull and his calves are very impressive so I'm pretty sure my problem lies with my angus bull. I'd get another brangus but I'm concerned about the ear.

Rod, just curious. How do you know which bull threw which calf? I have some brangus cows that get bred to either Hereford or Angus bulls and most of the calves have very little ear if any.

Howdy,
Some assistance in picking would be easier with your current Angus bulls EPD's. Frame, average BW you had, and what kind of girls your putting him too. Age of the girls help too.

Angus EPD's can range all over for certain traits. You can look at a 4+higher BW and a WW +45, and YW +90 could make a growth carcass change. Depth, ribs, retail%

If your whole herd is older girls (4+ years) and do not have any small frame petite types, then you will probably not have any problems going with a Charloias

flaboy":3ur2hh9k said:
Rod":3ur2hh9k said:

Rod, just curious. How do you know which bull threw which calf? I have some brangus cows that get bred to either Hereford or Angus bulls and most of the calves have very little ear if any.
Lets see if I can help you out flowerboy...some of the black calves have more ear and leather than the other black calves...if that hint dont help you figure the rest of it out on your own you need to go back to raising hamsters or bunnies

I ran my Angus bull for about six months by himself before I put the brangus in with him so he pretty well covered most of the cows. I had his crop last fall. My brangus outweighs the angus by about 600, so when I put him in the smaller angus got to breeed very little. There is no doubt which calves belongs to who. His calves are long and tall and heavy, but do have a little more ear than I care for with some of my cows.

tapeworm":fsjds9k2 said:
flaboy":fsjds9k2 said:
Rod":fsjds9k2 said:

Lets see if I can help you out flowerboy...some of the black calves have more ear and leather than the other black calves...if that hint dont help you figure the rest of it out on your own you need to go back to raising hamsters or bunnies

So tape, by your logic, Angus bull = no ears/leather, Brangus bull = ear/leather. I guess I really don't need to know what the dam is huh? So when I breed those Brangus heifers of mine to one of my Angus bulls I never will have ear or leather? Hum

My logic is this: If you already have some ear influence why add to it with a brangus. I didn't say an angus would eliminate all ear, just wont make it worse!

Rod":3edriefj said:
My logic is this: If you already have some ear influence why add to it with a brangus. I didn't say an angus would eliminate all ear, just wont make it worse!

I agree with you 100% Rod. I was just trying to figure out how tapeworm figures you could tell which calf came from which bull not knowing the dam. I looked back and couldn't find where you said what you were breeding the bulls to. I have angus and brangus also. Some times it is very clear who came from what. Sometimes I don't have a clue but then I have been accused of that on this board several times anyway. :lol:

It is hard to tell with both of them in there, but I usually see who's breeding who. I had my angus for about 6 months before I got the brangus so I got a pretty good look at his calves. There is a world of difference in their calves I can assure you. Just a little too much ear on some and they get docked at the barn.

Latest posts