Bull selection

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Where I am it is primarily a breeding area where calves are weaned straight into the saleyards in autumn and are bought by backgrounders to get to feedlot entry weights. Should these breeders be looking for bulls with EBV's ( our version of EPD's) for carcase attributes such as marbling, eye muscle area and fat or just concern themselves with the values that are relevant to them such as calving ease and fertility in a self replacing herd and most importantly growth or weaning weight?

Can the eating experience of progeny from a well bred great phenotype of a bull with lower carcase values be judged inferior to that of a bull of higher carcase merit? Many breeders have buyers that chase their line of calves as they have performed well for them in the past so there is some merit in producing a consistent product however my feeling is that as you get further down the supply chain (or up) the buyers have little concern what the carcase EBV's are like.

Do SAV progeny eat poorly because their marbling EPD's are inferior to others? I doubt it.

Ken

Do SAV progeny eat poorly because their marbling EPD's are inferior to others? I doubt it.
Why worry about EPDs and EBVs if you do not believe them? Are you looking at low marbling or no marbling? Inferior to what? Quality grade might not pay as well, yield grade might be poorer to get more marbling, but eating quality is a regional/personal choice as not everyone want super rich meat or can afford it.

Calf producers will always return more money due to cow fertility, function and longevity than what the packed gets paid for or pays for. Doesn't mean the terminal sire should not be selected for carcass issues but if that is the case the entire calf crop should be bred and sold as terminal and the cow herd should be built with an eye towards the cows.

Latest posts