Bull selection

Help Support CattleToday:

sske

Reaction score
I'm running a small herd of Angus and Angus cross cows and heifers. What's everyone's opinion on crossing a half angus, 1/4 limousine and 1/4 hereford bull on them? Looking to sell steers at auction and possibly retain heifers for future breeding

My biggest concern would be that he's so crossed up that you don't know what you are getting. Especially for calving ease, milk and a whole lot of other things. Nothing wrong with crossbred bulls, Limflex, Balancer, Gelford, Sim-Angus. But most of them come with some EPD's so you aren't totally shooting in the dark(and neither is he)LOL

Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't use a bull that was crossed up that much. I'd recommend a Brangus, but the wisdom of that advice would depend somewhat on your location. Where are you?

I have the option of a 2 year old f1 brands bull, but that about it right now. I'm in northern CA

There is nothing wrong with using a crossbred bull. However in this case just as 3way mentioned, you don't know anything about his EPDs.

You must remember it makes no difference how many cows that you have, the bull still is 50% of the herd. A good bull will make you money while a mediocre bull will take several years of breeding to replace undesirable genetics.

I wouldn't go for more than two breeds in a cross bull. Too unpredictable in what comes out. In your case, you will have majority solid colored calves, but the Hereford could crop up and throw a whiteface or two. Might not be what your buyers want.

I've either got access to this bull or a 2 year old f1 black brangus bull. I'm in northern California

Need to decide if you are retaining heifers.
Then, since you have angus, look for another breed to get F1 2 way cross calves, or an F1 bull to get 3 way cross calves.

sske":uvzyrqtf said:
I've either got access to this bull or a 2 year old f1 black brangus bull. I'm in northern California

If those are your only choices I'd recommend the F1, but I'd take a good long look at his temperament first.

What do you do with calves and what do you want to do with the calves from this bull? What kind of calves sell best in your market?

Ebenezer":32wzz861 said:
What do you do with calves and what do you want to do with the calves from this bull? What kind of calves sell best in your market?
I plan to sell steers and retain heifers as replacements. Black and baldy calves seem to sell the best around here, the prices don't change much between calves with and without ear

Found a third option in my area. A black 8 month old out of a Beefmaster cow and by a calving ease black Angus bull. His BW was 55lbs. What are your opinions on him? Do you think he's too crossed up? He has small horns about 1/2-1 inch long. How big of a chance do you think there would be of him siring horned calves out of polled cows? Do you think he would be a safe cross on heifers?

If baldies sell well, why not a Hereford or a baldie bull? Seems like you are looking for the unusual in your search or is it just me?

There aren't any good baldy bulls around. And everything is bred to a hereford right now. Wanting to go back to a black bull