Bull on feed

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Last fall we had a 18 month bull slaughtered that had only been on grass and he was dandy to eat (pure Angus). A friend of mine has one that has been on feed for a little over 4 months and I think he's around 14 or 15 months old. Also pure Angus, just wondering if he will be as good to eat and as lean or more fatty because of the feed?

tncattle":2ek9zcjg said:
Last fall we had a 18 month bull slaughtered that had only been on grass and he was dandy to eat (pure Angus). A friend of mine has one that has been on feed for a little over 4 months and I think he's around 14 or 15 months old. Also pure Angus, just wondering if he will be as good to eat and as lean or more fatty because of the feed?

You've been on CT for 2 years and not read the various threads concerning grass fed --vs-- grain fed? I'd recommend you search those out and read them. May not get the answer you want but should satisfy your curiosity.

TexasBred":30nsiioi said:
tncattle":30nsiioi said:

You've been on CT for 2 years and not read the various threads concerning grass fed --vs-- grain fed? I'd recommend you search those out and read them. May not get the answer you want but should satisfy your curiosity.

I've been on here 3 years and when you search something like this that is so common it usually won't pull anything up at all. THanks for your help-- :clap:

<should be excellent eating. bulls won't marble like steers do. should only have back fat>

I agree with this statement. I have had 3 bulls butchered. They have all been about 1 to 1 1/2 years old. They have less fat but they are dandy tasting. I asked my butcher about this too. I asked him if they tasted or cut up worse than a steer or heifer. He said "not worse just different" It took me a while to figure out what he meant, but he was right. The meat is just is good, but less fat. I don't know much about the grass vs corn fed. We raise ours on grain.

tncattle":1ymunllz said:
TexasBred":1ymunllz said:
tncattle":1ymunllz said:

I've been on here 3 years and when you search something like this that is so common it usually won't pull anything up at all. THanks for your help-- :clap:

Glad you appreciated it so much and use it as well. :tiphat:

There's some good bone in ribeyes at Harveys right now for $4.99/lb. Pretty big- one will cover your plate except for just enough room to put a baked potato. Must've come off cows- not graded so must be select. Some have nice marbling- search them out.. Very good grilled. Don't know how they were fed- probably grass and hay since they were cow steaks. What's this got to do with Bull on feed? Probably not much- but I wrote it out and not going to erase it :D

ga. prime":16ykcmr2 said:
There's some good bone in ribeyes at Harveys right now for $4.99/lb. Pretty big- one will cover your plate except for just enough room to put a baked potato. Must've come off cows- not graded so must be select. Some have nice marbling- search them out.. Very good grilled. Don't know how they were fed- probably grass and hay since they were cow steaks. What's this got to do with Bull on feed? Probably not much- but I wrote it out and not going to erase it :D
ga those could have been "bull on feed" steaks tho....grass...grain..combination???

greengrasscattle":2ei56mfo said:
ga. prime those steaks would have needed to come from a young cow if they were graded select.
No label of any grade on them. I just guessed they must be select since there was no label on packaging.

Howdy Y'all!

I am a newbie here but wanted to tell ya tncattle. If you do a search with the google search on this site like this; "grass fed", you will find the threads to learn more. There is a large difference between grain and grass fed animals, not to mention the health reasons for grass fed. I am sure you will find more than you want to read by doing this search.

Have a great day!
grassfed
http://www.bit.ly/cCYWpy

I thought it was pretty much the norm. to just slaughter steers.?? I'm asking, not commenting. Is it ok to slaughter a bull at 1 year old ? or is the steer better , Heifers too???. Its just i was always told or heard to casturate, bulls unless you are planning to grow them out & sell or keep. Just asking :cowboy:

RICHARDL":5b8c1gfk said:
I thought it was pretty much the norm. to just slaughter steers.?? I'm asking, not commenting. Is it ok to slaughter a bull at 1 year old ? or is the steer better , Heifers too???. Its just i was always told or heard to casturate, bulls unless you are planning to grow them out & sell or keep. Just asking :cowboy:

Richard some ofthe most flavorful beef I ever ate came from a registered holstein bull who was steadily breeding cows...he did go thru the dairy barn everyday and got about 30 lbs. of an 18% crude protein grain mix. Stuck his nose to a shed one day that had an electrical short in it and killed him instantly. We bled him out, hauled him to thelocker and the hung him and then processed him. He probably weighed 1300 lbs. or so on the hoof. We meat was awesome. Maybe the "electricity" made it so good. :lol2: Over the years we also slaughtered several 3 yr. old holstein cows that did not produce well so we quit milking them and put them on feed. Very good meat.

RICHARDL,

Some folks prefer bull meat - had some neighbors that swore by it. Fairly common in Europe to raise meat animals intact. Lots of hamburger made from cows and bulls.

edit to add my observation in my area at regular sale, castrating brings at least $50 - so, worth it if you're selling.

Latest posts