Bull lease

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
We always keep a few bulls for sale for neighbors. They are pure bred angus generally out of an ai bull but we don't register. Sell a few a year. Had a another neighbor who has just 8 cows ask about leasing a bull. Never even though about it. How would you price that? By the cow? Straight price? By the month? Starting from zero here! Land Mines?

I looked around when I first started. Prices were from $200-$1,000/month and with a break it, you buy it contract.

I have a friend who owns 40 bulls +/-. Rents them out for $450-$500 for a breeding season (approx May-Aug on average). If you dont get to him early and speak for a bull in February, slim to none chance he will have one for you come May. Most go out twice a year on rentals. Plenty of guys with 6 to 12 cows needing to rent a bull in these parts. Last I spoke to him, he had 2 come back home with broken "equipment", and one broke a leg. He just takes the beating on those. His accountant and his wife keep telling him to up his prices or get out of the bull rental biz.

5S Cattle":1gorxlwy said:
I looked around when I first started. Prices were from $200-$1,000/month and with a break it, you buy it contract.
Thanks for the response!

bball":11gd3j2f said:
I have a friend who owns 40 bulls +/-. Rents them out for $450-$500 for a breeding season (approx May-Aug on average). If you dont get to him early and speak for a bull in February, slim to none chance he will have one for you come May. Most go out twice a year on rentals. Plenty of guys with 6 to 12 cows needing to rent a bull in these parts. Last I spoke to him, he had 2 come back home with broken "equipment", and one broke a leg. He just takes the beating on those. His accountant and his wife keep telling him to up his prices or get out of the bull rental biz.
Dang, sounds like he's made a business out of it. Thanks for taking the time!

We lease a couple to guys with 10-20 cows that really don't need a bull for more than 3 months a year. Get between $10 and $40 a head.... usually $200-$400 for 3 months average. If the bull breaks a penis, he pays the difference between salvage price and 3,000 value of the bull. Anything else they own the bull. We guarantee fertility. The downfall is the possibility of the bull "bringing home" something that "ajax won't wash off" like Trich or something. But we have been doing this for several years to herds that have been pretty closed. We don't do it alot, but someone else feeds the bulls, and it helps out a few friends that just don't want to get a "stockyard" bull they know nothing about, and really can't justify a 3,000 bull for 60-90 days work a year; and most don't have a place to keep the bull separate if they are trying for a controlled calving season.

I have one bull, and rented two for the last couple of years, I pay 600.00 each for 3 months.

Latest posts