Bull Handling Tips

Help Support CattleToday:

With an ax handle you can drop a hard blow on the bulls head to stun him, all you need is the extra 3 steps to run, or dive over the fence.

Treat every Bull like he will hurt you..... then will never put yourself in danger.

I like calm Bulls that stand and slobber at a distance. But every person than coming to my place I tell them how mean and dangerous the Bull is.... ;-) keeps them away. 8)

I have put my bull back in the fence twice when he was out. The first time was with a bucket of feed....but I had a stick in the other hand just in case. The second time, he was eating cubes with the neighboring herd, and was not interested in my bucket. So, I drove him home using a fair sized tree limb. But he is pretty laid back, and having been whacked across the nose a couple of times for training purposes when he showed a tad of head tossing, he has a healthy respect for me. I don't pat him, seldom touch him at all other that a slap on the rump to move him out of the way.

Horned bulls are actually easier to handle, as you can whack their horns and rattle their sinus cavities, turning them any direction you wish. Been there, done that, and learned from an old rancher.

I make sure I have an escape route, then every time he comes at me hit him in the face with a sorting paddle, HARD. (Usually while turning to run away). I've only had one that kept coming at me after being smacked. Usually they stop or turn away. (There are exceptionally mean cattle out there, but it sounds like your bull is just challenging) After a few times he'll go stand in the corner of the corral. But your gonna have to do it every year, so decide whether you have the intestinal fortitude for it year after year. Dangerous, yes. But the way I see it, it's part of the job. Show him who's boss, or get rid of him for something more docile.

When Bulls are put into a sorting pen even the calmest bulls get dangerous especially if they are seperated off. Never turn your back on them and I wouldnt treat them like pets.

a lot of good info just be cautious and have some sort of protection when in a pen with a bull you dont know what he is capable of

backhoeboogie":3jdozkdl said:
The only time my hands are on my bull is when he is in a chute and being administered meds. I never try to touch one or pet one. If one ever starts getting to agressive acting, it is time to change. The reason for the change is not so much out of my fear, but rather consideration of my children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews etc. A bull is a one ton plus wrecking machine that can maim and kill even when just playing. If someone is trying to sell me a bull that they can walk up and pet, I don't want that bull; he will have no fear of humans and he is dangerous.
Ever had a 1000 lb. X-bottle baby want to play with you? Cows or bulls that become pets can treat you as if you were one of them. When a cow is in heat a bull may even look at you as competition.
If you want to sell any bull you can't trust, you had better learn to AI. ;-)

I don't think that you will ever truely "know" a bull. He is going to be a bull first, last, and always and does not think with the big head....... :)

As to trusting a bull? Never.

grannysoo":l3n619sm said:
As to trusting a bull? Never.

Since we sold Pedro I trust all of our bulls, probably a dozen of them or so. That liquid nitrogen keeps them pretty calm and easy to handle.

Granny.. spoken like a true woman.

Bull handling tips: Get a young one and hand feed it so it gets used to you. When it grows up and is put out with the "girls", carry a big stick, or 'hot shot' with you when around him. Never trust them totally.

I always carry a stick and bring one dog. My cows know what a dog means and they dont like getting near them. They can move fast when you least expect it. I have been charged a few times and my dog saw it before I did and the bull left quick. As said be careful as they are big enough to hurt no matter what they true intension.

Limomike":1clq0pr1 said:

Bull handling tips: Get a young one and hand feed it so it gets used to you. When it grows up and is put out with the "girls", carry a big stick, or 'hot shot' with you when around him. Never trust them totally.
I have a Jersey spotter bull in the pasture. Hit him across the nose with a stick or hot shot him and I guarantee you are in for a fight you will not win. Besides that you are already way to close.

I have never actually ever had to hit/shock any of my bulls unless they were penned up and getting a little "anxious". Nearly all of my bulls have been good natured. I am just saying it pays to be cautious.

Be careful - I have seen them attack a vehicle. I have seen them go through a horse fence like it was a spiderweb.

I have seen gentle ones push a good wood fence to pieces and wild ones splinter a pen trying to jump out - and yes they CAN JUMP - pretty dang high - and move lightening fast.

And that is not talking about the friendly accident of a slung head or stepped on foot from the "pet" ones.

Hippie Rancher":3j7e98pg said:
Be careful - I have seen them attack a vehicle. I have seen them go through a horse fence like it was a spiderweb.

I have seen gentle ones push a good wood fence to pieces and wild ones splinter a pen trying to jump out - and yes they CAN JUMP - pretty dang high - and move lightening fast.

And that is not talking about the friendly accident of a slung head or stepped on foot from the "pet" ones.

That reminds me of a bull (full grown one) I saw at the Tulsa Stockyard sale one time.. came into the show ring...and jumped completely up into the auctioneers booth. (about 6 feet tall) Talk about some scrambling...
The bull ended up going out the backdoor of the booth..

I train all bulls to the bull whip. I usually just threaten them with it if they respond correctly. If they don't respond then they get a taste of it. USUALLY, this is all it takes to get their respect. I expect them to walk away when I approach them. If not out comes the whip. If the whip doesn't teach them, I ship them.

When working my bulls in the pens they move without having to use a hotshot. They try to stay away from me even in the squeeze lane. It's the dang cows that give me the most problems there.

I read all of this and there is some really good advice here so, read it all and maybe use 1-2 or all the choices. Like with horses, you have to gain their respect.

my halter broke pet bull knocked me down from behind when i was closing a gate. right after he bent my knee backwards he lifted me with his head and threw me up over the gate now pushed open against the fence. i just missed hittin my truck on my way to the ground. at least he threw me out of the pasture so he stopped attacking me..bubba brought me 700$ but i have never walked the same and i have a large lump on my thigh that hasnt gone away in 6 yrs

beware bulls..i cant imagine even doin the show thing with a steer now.
NEVER EVER TURN YER BACK ONA BULL FOR ANY REASON CEPT TO RUN! HE CAN OUTRUN YOU I GUARNTEE IT

novatech":mohbtm00 said:
Limomike":mohbtm00 said:

I have a Jersey spotter bull in the pasture. Hit him across the nose with a stick or hot shot him and I guarantee you are in for a fight you will not win. Besides that you are already way to close.

a jersey spotter bull........

I assume you mena what we call a teaser bull to heat detect.....

In any case do you have a death wish?

well i can tell yall bull tales all day long too.

I seen a man killed once.

But i don't fear my bulls like yall do.

I have had disposition as a selection criteria on my herd for over twenty years. about half my cows can be petted. does that mean I think they won't hurt me...... not for one second.

My bulls are not pets. But they better be quiet and behave. Our current cleanup bull is four years old and well over a ton and he respects me as much as any bull will, but in a tight spot he darned well knows he is bigger than I am. But I still like him to come to call and feed him a couple of times a week.

Crazy bull eats just as well as crazy cow. We had one a few years ago that I nicked named bird brain. He thought he was a bird and could perch on gates. Bird Brain tasted better than chicken.

I am just curious, I read that a high pitched scream or a gym whistle will interrupt a bull or cow that is charging you. It said that cattle are very sensitive to high pitch noises and my become momentarily confused by the noise. Has anyone heard of this and if not would anyone be willing to give it a shot???? ;-) This could be totally bogus but I think it would be cool if it worked.
jwhisperj

Latest posts