Bull Guarantee (venting frustrations)

Help Support CattleToday:

There are some bulls that just do want to breed had a 15 month old bull once that wouldn't breed till he was in with cows 5 months cows had come in heat he just was not interested.
Never got a second chance sent him to market

IMO, whatever the problem, the breeder should have made the bull good, cash refund or another bull. We've replaced at least one bull with a much better bull at no additional charge when a customer wasn't happy. It doesn't make me happy, but if you're going to "gurantee" an animal, you should stand behind it.

Exactly, thats the way I do business and I figured that was what he should do as well. Anyway, I was just venting, as I said. We'll do better next year Im sure. That is, if my entire diseased herd has the ability to get bred at all. :?

Frankie":353i740n said:
IMO, whatever the problem, the breeder should have made the bull good, cash refund or another bull. We've replaced at least one bull with a much better bull at no additional charge when a customer wasn't happy. It doesn't make me happy, but if you're going to "gurantee" an animal, you should stand behind it.

I agree. If you're not willing to stand behind it, then don't guarantee the animals that you sell.

I never did see where his actual age was listed - maybe I missed it. I, personally, would not bank all of my breeding to a 12 to 14 month old bull.

One thing worth mentioning. A BSE, or Breedness Sound Exam is just that. A semen test is only a semen test. If the bull has 99% motility but a corkscrew penis, he won't impregnate any cows. If this bull had a BSE completed on him and he passed - then I could understand the bull sellers point.

cypressfarms":198rg431 said:
I never did see where his actual age was listed - maybe I missed it. I, personally, would not bank all of my breeding to a 12 to 14 month old bull.

One thing worth mentioning. A BSE, or Breedness Sound Exam is just that. A semen test is only a semen test. If the bull has 99% motility but a corkscrew penis, he won't impregnate any cows. If this bull had a BSE completed on him and he passed - then I could understand the bull sellers point.

A proper BSE consists of more then a sperm sample. The penis is checked for abnormalities and that he is capable of extending it. Seems liek there was more to it then that but I wasn;t paying much attention . The electric probe up his butt brought tears to my eyes.

baxter78":443yx90o said:
I know star lake supposedly sales to other countries I thought maybe SA was one of them. Didnt know if you had any of their stock.

I doubt it, Knersie's herefords are better looking than anything I've seen out of Star Lake.

Latest posts