Bull Drinking Cow's Milk!

Help Support CattleToday:

WannabRnchr

Reaction score
We have a black angus bull (about 3 years old). He's sired 16 calves, but did we get a surprise the other day. The bull was sucking milk from one of the mama cow's teets right beside the calf! We caught him again two days later, we don't know if it was the same cow though.

Is this detrimental to the cow? Will she lose weight trying to produce milk for a calf and the bull? Will the calf suffer? The bull is stud to 25 cows and he's in the pasture with them year round.

It is very detrimental to the calf as the bull is stealing his nutrition. Ship the bull!

msscamp":2f33847x said:
It is very detrimental to the calf as the bull is stealing his nutrition. Ship the bull!

Wait - can we put a no suck on him? Perhaps spank him or send him to a cow whisperer?

Nope - msscamp is correct.

This animal is nothing but trouble - ship him or eat him - keep him away from the cows.

Too many good bulls available real cheap to keep this kind of trouble around.

Separate immediately.

Bez!

Bez!":s8wcoq38 said:
msscamp":s8wcoq38 said:

Wait - can we put a no suck on him? Perhaps spank him or send him to a cow whisperer?

Bez!

:lol2: :lol2:

Bez!":2ul9wzb0 said:
msscamp":2ul9wzb0 said:

Bez!

Amybe counceling would help. Or maybe take away his subscription to "Playcow"

dun

Was this a black cow? was she singing that song "My milkshake makes all the boyz come around..."

I think if the bull and the calf spent more quality time together. Send them for an afternoon of grazing together or get them butting heads in play. Most of the time the reason why the bull takes away from his own calf is simply jealousy. Once the bull feels like an active part in his calf's life he will not want to take its' milk. Instead he will be content to know that he is important to and let the cow do her job.

Sorry, I know this is a serious post, I just couldn't help myself. :lol: I agree with the other posters, I'd ship this bull out. Yes the calves will suffer from this behaviour. A full grown bull can drink A LOT of milk. Besides that you never know if he'll get aggressive about the whole thing and injure a calf. Not worth it in my opinion.

I think if the bull and the calf spent more quality time together. Send them for an afternoon of grazing together or get them butting heads in play. Most of the time the reason why the bull takes away from his own calf is simply jealousy. Once the bull feels like an active part in his calf's life he will not want to take its' milk. Instead he will be content to know that he is important to and let the cow do her job.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wanna...,
The easy way out is to ship him. However, I think you knew that and since you post the problem you are probably looking for alternative measures.

1) Seperate him and bring the cows to him when needed. Usually after a few months he will drop the habit. You can always ship him later if he doesn't correct.

or

2) Put a weaning halter on him and he will get kicked a few times...it should break him from the habit.

Some work but, for an otherwise good animal it is worth the effort. One of our top herd bulls had the same problem when he was about 2 and we broke him. It hasn't repeated.

your bull sucks( literally ) :lol:. It aint so uncommon. My neighboor has had it happen a couple of times . He bought the bulls from the same breeder . You got to ship him

Beefy":b3l943tm said:
Was this a black cow? was she singing that song "My milkshake makes all the boyz come around..."

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
....I could teach you but I have to charge
Da*mn right it's better than yours
And they're like, it's better than yours
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

:lol: :lol: :lol:

whatever. you know you didnt have to google that.

i bet you know "shake it like a salt shaker" too?

preston39":2yfkl29s said:
Wanna...,
The easy way out is to ship him. However, I think you knew that and since you post the problem you are probably looking for alternative measures.

It's not the 'easy' way out - it's the practical, time-tested way that guarantees the problem is solved.

1) Seperate him and bring the cows to him when needed. Usually after a few months he will drop the habit. You can always ship him later if he doesn't correct.

If they are going to go through this bs, they may as well AI and don't need the bull!

2) Put a weaning halter on him and he will get kicked a few times...it should break him from the habit.

SHOULD being the operative word here.

Some work but, for an otherwise good animal it is worth the effort.

'Some' work? :eek: :eek: Ummmmm, last time I checked, an adult animal that was still nursing did not qualify as a 'good' animal - but maybe things have changed since then.

Beefy":19e3enwt said:

Shawty crunk on the floor wide open
Skeet so much they call her Billy Ocean
Roll like an eighteen wheeler
That hoe fine but this hoe killer
She leakin, she's soakin' wet
She leakin, soakin' wet
Shake it like a salt shaker (shake it like a salt shaker)

lakading":1yj8tn1y said:
Beefy":1yj8tn1y said:

Shawty crunk on the floor wide open
Skeet so much they call her Billy Ocean
Roll like an eighteen wheeler
That hoe fine but this hoe killer
She leakin, she's soakin' wet
She leakin, soakin' wet

Y'all have entirely too much time on your hands!!! Must be a blizzard in Iowa keeping you inside.

For the bull, I say put a shock collar on him, and pop him him every time he tries to suck. That would be fun to watch. Seriously, I don't see any other way but to make hamburgers out of him.

On a serious note - (note - get it :D :p )
Not only is he stealing nutrition from the calf, he could suck a cow that just calved, and the newborn won't have ANY colostrum to drink. She only produces "one bag full".
Ship that sucker!!!

Latest posts