bull calve

Help Support CattleToday:

bjandtheduke

Reaction score
I have a regestered angus bull calf that we are having to bottle feed , we were going to raise him for a breeder bull will he make a breeder bull

bjandtheduke":2z3eukke said:
I have a regestered angus bull calf that we are having to bottle feed , we were going to raise him for a breeder bull will he make a breeder bull

You are going to have to provide a lot more info than that.

Short answer is: Who knows? lots of variables.

I was just wondering our neighbor told us he would be steril and wouls not ever be a breeder bull . Hate to make him a steer with the blood line he has but also dont want to waste my time either .We are new to cows , had horses all of our lifes and just getting into the cattle , but would appriciate all the help somebody can help with

thanks again

personally I don't think he would be sterile,but to be sure call a vet & ask. He may not turn out as good as a calf on his momma but time will tell.

Did you buy him from the neighbor that said he would be sterile? From what I have learned here and elsewhere, best to make him a freezer steer. If he has that good of bull potential he be great as a steer. It was proven to me that bottle calves just don't grow out like nursing calves.

JMO. good luck,
Alan

no didn`t buy him from that neighbor . he just said just about all bottle fed calves are steril and not knowing couldnt argue the fact , the guy we got him from bottle raised a bull he uses for breeding or he says so i thouhgt i might give it a try if it was something that would work for me

thanks

Your neighbor may not actually be able to tell his a$$ from a hole in the ground.

You should look elsewhere for cow advice.

3-way is on the money. I have several cows that were once bottle calves. All are fertile. There are even more out there that were grafted to my nurse cow.

As for that bull calf, you could graft it to a nurse cow, it would get more milk and richer milk from a jersey cow, and still turn out to be something that should have been a steer.

Raising him on a bottle is not going to make him sterile.

No, bottle feeding does not = sterile. My concern would be somebody with such lack of experience messing with a bull, bottle fed or not.

Stay friendly with your neighbor but I would be wary of any further advice.

Alan":2l1poscm said:
Did you buy him from the neighbor that said he would be sterile? From what I have learned here and elsewhere, best to make him a freezer steer. If he has that good of bull potential he be great as a steer. It was proven to me that bottle calves just don't grow out like nursing calves.

JMO. good luck,
Alan
Just because he is a bottle calf there is no reason to assume he will be sterile. If that was the case dairys wuld have been out of business a long time ago because there wouldn;t be any bulls to breed. And just because he is a bottle calf doesn;t mean he won;t grow out to his potential. Proprely raised nutritionaly he will grow out fine. Someone posted abull on here not too long ago that pretty well demonstrates that

bjandtheduke":ckzwb96x said:
no didn`t buy him from that neighbor . he just said just about all bottle fed calves are steril and not knowing couldnt argue the fact , the guy we got him from bottle raised a bull he uses for breeding or he says so i thouhgt i might give it a try if it was something that would work for me

thanks

I've raised a bottle fed bull for someone to use as a bull. He's got calves on the ground so he definitely isn't sterile.

A registered bull calf doesn't mean he'll be anything good in terms of breeding quality. There are factors such as genetics and environment that affect an animal. A bottle bull calf not only has these same factors, but also that he hasn't received what he needs from his dam. Some people can raise them well, but most don't. So maybe he could be something, but without experience in feeding and knowledge on confirmation, I'd stick with cutting him and enjoying his steaks.

tncattle467":3g087d8i said:
bjandtheduke":3g087d8i said:

In my honest opinion! NO I do not use a bull that weans under 650 pounds at 205 days old and most of my buddies dont either. He will probably be pot gutted etc. I would say he would pass crap genetics on to his calves. That is just my opinion and I am sure I will take flack for it but after using bulls whos weaning weights are 777 at 205 (not adjusted) and 788 at 205 (not adjusted) they just made alot of difference over the previous bull I used who had 663 pound 205 weight. Sure as dun said you can raise a bottle calf to perform as good as a regular calf but it will cost a whole heck of alot more.
Since most bottle calves are weaned at 8 weeks it would be pretty tough to wean one at those weights, but at 7 months there is o reason they wouldn;t be there IF they are properly raised post weaning

tncattle467":3h8rs4vm said:
He will probably be pot gutted etc.

Get a long lil doggy? :D

Calves that have the right nutrition won't have a grass belly. That said, you see lots of doggies at the sale barn. Stick legs and pot guts. All that means is the management wasn't worth its salt.

IMO you would have better odds on a Vegas crap table than raising a true herd bull off a bottle. Number one just because he has papers doesn't make him a herd bull, just because his daddy is doesn't either. You will never do as good a job raising a calf as the cow that is just the way it is.

rkm":3kt4gdtv said:
How a bull is fed will not change his genics.

Absolutely; he may or may not make a good breeding bull, as others have said, many variables there but one thing for sure you won't change his genetics by bottle feeding. You can however, limit his potential.

I'd be weary of keeping a bull around for a herd bull that I bottle fed. This could be an easy way to get yourself or someone else hurt. They become too tame and forget to have a fear of you. He may hurt you or a loved one not even meaning to.

tncattle467":2cj3fcbk said:
bjandtheduke":2cj3fcbk said:

In my honest opinion! NO I do not use a bull that weans under 650 pounds at 205 days old and most of my buddies dont either. He will probably be pot gutted etc. I would say he would pass crap genetics on to his calves. That is just my opinion and I am sure I will take flack for it but after using bulls whos weaning weights are 777 at 205 (not adjusted) and 788 at 205 (not adjusted) they just made alot of difference over the previous bull I used who had 663 pound 205 weight. Sure as dun said you can raise a bottle calf to perform as good as a regular calf but it will cost a whole heck of alot more.
what a load, i aint ever read such bull sht

Latest posts