bull breeding scenario

Help Support CattleToday:

black and red

Reaction score
Is this a bad idea? I have a fall yearling bull that is 16-17 months old. I'm waiting on some pasture fence being built. It wo'nt be done for another month. I'm dry lotting 7 - 5yr old cows and calves and 15 2yr olds with calves, along with my bull, feeding them a good amount of prairie hay, corn grain feed mixture and a some flakes of alfalfa. Its a nice big lot used to hold over 70 head. What I was wondering is if It hurts to let the bull breed the 7 cows in the lot for 20-30 days and then turn around and take the bull and the 15 heifers to grass to get them bred from May 15th to July 30th and pull the bull? Is this long enough and do you think its too much for the bull?

The 7 cows will then be sent to a friends small pasture and he'll use his bull - which is black simmintal, to clean up. The reason I am doing this is in the hopes to get as many baldies as possible. The older 7 - 5yr old cows have been cylcing for 2 months now. I'm holding back because of grass and because Most of the 2 yr olds have only had a calf for about a month with some only calving a week or so ago and I'm waiting on one to still calve.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. Thank you.

It makes sense to breed the cows first, to be sure they are bred as they go to the other place, if they are bred to the simm bull you will get a "baldie" calf anyway, just not a real hereford/angus F1. Aside from prioriatising to get the cows bred first, a bull of that age can handle both the older cows and first calvers at the same time. An old rule is the bulls age in months equals the number of cows he can settle in a short time. Some of the first calvers may cycle later because they just calved, so the window of opportunity is a little bigger because of that.

If the 5 yr olds and the two year olds are in the same lot how are you going to be sure the 2 yr olds don't get bred also other than they are so close up after calving. Some of them will cycle within a month after giving birth and they could "catch" the first cycle, so just be aware.

Latest posts