Building that perfect cow

Help Support CattleToday:

The pickup truck analogy is a poor one.. Dodge, Ford and Chevy are all built for the same purpose, and rather similarly built, with the same expectations on them... (or none in the case of Ford :hide: )
I think the vehicular analogy to use would be more like Dirt bike / Snowmobile / dune buggy / swamp boat... There are some things you can do, albeit poorly with most of them, though each will excel in the right conditions... In some cases you can make something that can marginally function in many of the conditions.. the 8x8 Argo is a great example of something that can do many things, none of them well!...

Muddy":z8e7vm69 said:
Since we're talking about the Brahmans, how come the markets didn't want fullblooded Brahmans? Even our little friend Caustic Burno only has cows with 50% Brahman or less and producing 1/4 brimmer calves...

What market are you talking about?

Which feeder comes to your place to get the calves?

Seriously, how many truckloads do you ship every year?

Which mix of Continental or British will consistently produce 15 calves in 17 years?

A typical cow is not profitable until its sixth year in the herd. The truth is a rancher on the Gulf coast will ALWAYS have a higher profit margin and better cows than someone raising cattle in the ice and snow, no matter what breeds.

The perfect commercial cow would be an F1 that's either:

British x Indicus
British x Sanga
Continental x Indicus
Continental x Sanga
Indicus x Sanga

Then bred a third way for terminal; let the terminal bull paint the calves the preferred color.

cow pollinater":51eip2gg said:
Muddy":51eip2gg said:
At least Charolais knows how to put meat on the carcass....unlike Brahmans.
Actually, according to MARC Brahman is the leader of the sampled breeds for weaning weight.

Open mouth and insert foot. Some folks might need to do a little more research about the cattle business.

dun":1j3xxmdq said:
Stanford777":1j3xxmdq said:
Son of butch, where exactly is Frost bite falls??? I've been to Minnesota once, went to the Mower county fairgrounds
in Austin, for the national Barrow show back six or seven yrs ago. It was September I was anticipating weather
similar to here which is shorts in Sept and boy when I stepped off that airplane was I shocked lol.
That's where Rocky and Bullwinkle are from
Yupper Dun and back in the day I knew a girl named Natasha and she was bad enough.

Austin, Mn aka Spam Town USA producing 94% of the spam sold in the usa and Australia.
Home to The Hormel Institute and biomedical research center brought to you by Hormel Foods inventors and makers
of that fine product Spam, (Scrap Porkbellies And Meats) Keeping Mayo Clinic in business since 1937

I can honestly say I have never seen snow on the ground here at home in June, July or August.
Minnesnowta Land of 10,000 Lakes

(11,482 Lakes of 10 acres or more)

Nesikep":1u2xrzr9 said:
Here's how well Brahman works up here
http://www.brahmanbreeder.net/countries/canada/

6 breeders with a total 50 registered cows.
So with Canada having a herd of 12 million cows.. they make up .000416% percent..
I rest my case
I think that's what everyone on here says some parts of the world they aint worth a plug nickel, but they have their place. The problem is most people on here from up north don't know enough about them to even be commenting about the Brahman cattle. I did not say everyone but some do not , you can tell by some of the things they say.

Not to step on any toes but I don't recall anyone saying registered Brahmans were the perfect cow, and by the info on 50 registered Brahmans in Canada doesn't really prove any point. A touch of Brahman influence meaning the end product may be 3/32 Brahman blood doesn't say that everyone needs humps in the pasture. That's just a small amount of blood coupled with two more breeds to make a cow that works. So no, if I was unclear, I don't believe Brahman mamas are the answer but a % in those females isn't a bad thing

Stanford777":13y2hp3h said:
Not to step on any toes but I don't recall anyone saying registered Brahmans were the perfect cow, and by the info on 50 registered Brahmans in Canada doesn't really prove any point. A touch of Brahman influence meaning the end product may be 3/32 Brahman blood doesn't say that everyone needs humps in the pasture. That's just a small amount of blood coupled with two more breeds to make a cow that works. So no, if I was unclear, I don't believe Brahman mamas are the answer but a % in those females isn't a bad thing
Well said even my certified F-1's I want Hereford markings versus tiger stripe.
In my experience they will grow hair when needed or be standing in 100 plus temps grazing . Tough girls.

I think this is the claim that got this all going

JWBrahman":1kmdrjce said:
Blb515":1kmdrjce said:
No such thing as perfect but in Texas f1 Tigers are close.

There is no breed if cow that can compete. You cannot get any breed to perform like the F1 Braford cow even if it is in its ideal environment.

No combination of British and Continental will have its first calf at 2 & keep delivering a profitable calf for the next 15 years.

Perhaps in HER ideal environment, nothing can compete.. but she won't be doing well up here..

Neighbor of mine that very unfortunately had open range around our place ran Sim/Anugs/Herf cows.. big beasts that I wouldn't want, but dang could those cows eeke out a living on bunchgrass and cover some ground.. that is when they weren't breaking into our place.. When you have half your year of grazing on range or someone elses grass, it doesn't matter how much they eat, they brought home big calves though.

Nesikep":2robpb88 said:

JWBrahman":2robpb88 said:
Blb515":2robpb88 said:
No such thing as perfect but in Texas f1 Tigers are close.

There is no breed if cow that can compete. You cannot get any breed to perform like the F1 Braford cow even if it is in its ideal environment.

No combination of British and Continental will have its first calf at 2 & keep delivering a profitable calf for the next 15 years.

Perhaps in HER ideal environment, nothing can compete.. but she won't be doing well up here..

Neighbor of mine that very unfortunately had open range around our place ran Sim/Anugs/Herf cows.. big beasts that I wouldn't want, but dang could those cows eeke out a living on bunchgrass and cover some ground.. that is when they weren't breaking into our place.. When you have half your year of grazing on range or someone elses grass, it doesn't matter how much they eat, they brought home big calves though.

When Texas leads all states in cattle production that is the reason the F-1 is the queen of cow country.

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/advice-and ... -50-states

Some light reading

http://brahmanjournal.com/brahman/the-b ... w-country/

Tbrake":20nce018 said:
That explanation helped a bunch! Does Anyone have any upgrade cows or heifers in production? If so how are they? I hate to breed uno and cost myself a bunch of money on the steers
Not sure if anyone answered your question (I have not read through the entire thread yet), but most of our herd is Upgrade sired or grandsired. They are outstanding cows! They have a great udder, milk fantastic, and wean off a big calf. They AI back quickly, and produce some of the best each year. I would take an Upgrade over an Uno Mas any day! Just our experience here at the ranch.

Caustic Burno":1c01o0ne said:
Nesikep":1c01o0ne said:

JWBrahman":1c01o0ne said:

When Texas leads all states in cattle production that is the reason the F-1 is the queen of cow country.

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/advice-and ... -50-states

Some light reading

http://brahmanjournal.com/brahman/the-b ... w-country/
Intersting you should post that last link..
Shorthorn (460) is within 1% of Brahman(463), and MUCH better suited to our area

He never stated that fullblood Brahmans were what worked it's a percentage, the tiger stripe f1 is the Queen in the southwest. U are using the number of registered Brahmans and u aren't proving your point. All was said was Brahman influence helps make the cow. :deadhorse: the percentage is what is wanted, no need in knowing the number of fullblood animals.

Stanford777":2lur2eai said:
He never stated that fullblood Brahmans were what worked it's a percentage, the tiger stripe f1 is the Queen in the southwest. U are using the number of registered Brahmans and u aren't proving your point. All was said was Brahman influence helps make the cow. :deadhorse: the percentage is what is wanted, no need in knowing the number of fullblood animals.

Using the F-1 add 20% to those weaning weights. That is a lot of folding money no other can compete in the terminal cross.

There's also no listing for what an F1 shorthorn (with continental) would do.
The F1 (Brangus) in that chart seems to do worse than Brahmah in that chart by about 40 lbs..

It's kinda funny they don't list a PB Angus in there.

One thing I find strange is that no breed could get over 90% from exposure to weaning... I find that pretty poor across the board.. On my herd of 25 cows that would be losing 3 calves a year!!

Nesikep":366jhsz0 said:
One thing I find strange is that no breed could get over 90% from exposure to weaning...

Some areas in the US average less than 80%. :( Lots of small year round calving herds with minimal vaccination get much of the credit.

Latest posts