Bring Back The Old Colors

Help Support CattleToday:

I do like Char but not as a cow and the buyers at my local sale barns are fussy with what they're buying. Last year the char X feeders didn't get any premiums but in previous years they sold at same prices as the blacks. I was looking at a nice set group of red beefalo heifers. Red Angus influenced but the price are too high for me.

I might catch be nice for this but I don't like angus. At all. They destroyed a lot of good breeds with this gosh awful black fad. But it seems like the black fad is slowing down. More and more reds taking premiums up here in the sales barns.. Have had guys calling looks for red cows and heifer lately.[/quote]
Your blaming a breed,for something man has done?

I blame on black hide fad and having an open herdbook for ruining many good breeds. Don't get me wrong, Black Simmentals are good cattle but they just have same advantages as the black Angus.

ALACOWMAN":1wwijrob said:
I might catch be nice for this but I don't like angus. At all. They destroyed a lot of good breeds with this gosh awful black fad. But it seems like the black fad is slowing down. More and more reds taking premiums up here in the sales barns.. Have had guys calling looks for red cows and heifer lately.
Your blaming a breed,for something man has done?[/quote]

Should have worded that differently. I don't hate the breed for it but I just kind of got sick of the breed. Too many people are angus this angus that. Had people rag on us for using a Simmi bull while they used these fancy AI bulls. Guess who weaned off heavier calves that sold just as good? We didn't have an overly good experience with our Angus bulls. They were very hot headed and you couldn't turn your back on them. Our 3/4Simmi 1/4 Red Angus bull we have now is the most laid back bull and you can actually work with him... Might be the bulls we had but we haven't had a good experience with straight angus and I wasn't a fan of our cross bred either.. Love some of the AngusX females we have now.. All breeds have the advantages and disadvantages. Simmentals are by no means perfect but we have found they work great here.

Muddy":29l8f9gd said:
I blame on black hide fad and having an open herdbook for ruining many good breeds. Don't get me wrong, Black Simmentals are good cattle but they just have same advantages as the black Angus.
The biggest difference we have experienced with calves out Angus and Sim bulls have been weaning weight and muscle mass.. Our runts last year were still a heck of a lot better than our Angus calves...

holm25":2pp9fozy said:
Muddy":2pp9fozy said:
The biggest difference we have experienced with calves out Angus and Sim bulls have been weaning weight and muscle mass.. Our runts last year were still a heck of a lot better than our Angus calves...
Are your current calves sired by a Sim bull?

Muddy":3a3ww5ud said:
holm25":3a3ww5ud said:
Muddy":3a3ww5ud said:
Are your current calves sired by a Sim bull?
3/4 sim 1/4 angus. Sadly he's up for sale. Too many heifers of his around.

Sad to say this color thing is just another way of the sale barn and order buyers being able to screw producers. As more of you get closer to the so called perfect animal to sale, they will then change what they supposedly want. Seen it happen to many times over the last 50 years.
Raise what you can, the cheapest you can, unless you are retaining ownership into the feed yard. That set of rules applies to all parts of the country.

Example in my part of the country, calves will have some ear. You will be discounted in the fall if you sell your calves in my neck of the woods even if you calves have no ear at all. The same set of calves will bring top dollar in late Feb. and March, even calves showing a lot of ear will sale for top dollar. I didn't make the rules, but I learned to play by them. Learn what works in you area, and trust me, most likely it will be in conflict of the so called knowledge of Land Grant colleges in your area.

Here is a story for you then.

I was about 15 the year my grandad passed away. I helped on the farm as a result and became a little more aware. My neighbour was a Hereford man in a Hereford area. He had his first crop of 20 Simmental Hereford cross Heifers calving to an Angus bull. They were magnificent big Heifers with marvellous udders and heaps of milk the grey and black badly calves grew to be top vealers Heifers and steers. The interest in my neighbours cattle which were a new breed kicked off a fascination with beef breeding that has never left me. I am now 40 and as excited as ever.

OzssieDave19":gruvilu7 said:

I was about 15 the year my grandad passed away. I helped on the farm as a result and became a little more aware. My neighbour was a Hereford man in a Hereford area. He had his first crop of 20 Simmental Hereford cross Heifers calving to an Angus bull. They were magnificent big Heifers with marvellous udders and heaps of milk the grey and black badly calves grew to be top vealers Heifers and steers. The interest in my neighbours cattle which were a new breed kicked off a fascination with beef breeding that has never left me. I am now 40 and as excited as ever.
Darn things can get under your skin, can't they? I still marvel every calving season at the newborns & "new" momma's.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":kl7neqvj said:
OzssieDave19":kl7neqvj said:

Darn things can get under your skin, can't they? I still marvel every calving season at the newborns & "new" momma's.

I have 9 now, 7 more to go. The 9 range in age from about 3 days to 15 days old. They are fun to watch. They are at the age when they lay down and get lost. Then the cow runs around nervously trying to find the calf.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2kbxezrn said:
Mine are running like wild fire. Temperature has dropped 50 degrees and raining. Hopefully they keep running to keep warm!!!!

I am concerned about pneumonia. Very concerned!!! It has rained for about 3 days. Just short breaks. Rained last night but light intermittent. The temperature is 60 degrees. Feels cold compared to the 90s last week.

We were 43 this morning. I think we are up to 48 right now. I gave in & turned my furnace on. Can't believe we couldn't take enough cloths off all last week. Sweat just sitting in the shade. It has been this way for past year and a half - 50 degree swings in 24-48 hours. supposed to be back in the 70's rest of week with showers. It is currently down-pouring.

Bright Raven":3pxcjg4z said:
I would like to see a return of the chrome. I am doing my part to put more chrome in my Simmentals. How about you? Anyone want to join me in bringing back some of that wonderful color? I dream of the day when folks will look at Gimli and say - I wish he had more chrome. ;-)

To get back to your original post, in my part of the world Simmies still tend to look like Simmental. Maybe more red and less yellow.
Thought I'd show a couple of pics of mine. They are not unusual in this area and sell as good as any colour.

A yrlg bull. Less white on this one than some of my others.
mjveqt.jpg

Random cow:
i3z9u1.jpg

Random calf:
2e6h954.jpg

Watched a Simmental influence sale yesterday, over 1000 Simmental calves went through the ring, one small consignor had blacks all the rest traditional colours. Lots of $1,600 (CAD) calves.

Silver":20nfz77w said:
Bright Raven":20nfz77w said:
I would like to see a return of the chrome. I am doing my part to put more chrome in my Simmentals. How about you? Anyone want to join me in bringing back some of that wonderful color? I dream of the day when folks will look at Gimli and say - I wish he had more chrome. ;-)

To get back to your original post, in my part of the world Simmies still tend to look like Simmental. Maybe more red and less yellow.
Thought I'd show a couple of pics of mine. They are not unusual in this area and sell as good as any colour.

A yrlg bull. Less white on this one than some of my others.
mjveqt.jpg

Random cow:
i3z9u1.jpg

Watched a Simmental influence sale yesterday, over 1000 Simmental calves went through the ring, one small consignor had blacks all the rest traditional colours. Lots of $1,600 (CAD) calves.

Random calf:
2e6h954.jpg

Very nice. I like those old colors. Thanks for posting.

Latest posts