Bring Back The Old Colors

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":jxyvjtr4 said:
Lucky_P":jxyvjtr4 said:
We even dipped back a bit and have been using some fullblood Fleckvieh this year, with this boy:

That's One of my breeding dreams, using a fleck on Beefmaster cows.....
That should be an easy dream to come true. There are Fleck bulls out there.
Lucky_P - who is that? I think I recognize the pic but can't put a name to him.

Goes back on dam's side, top and bottom, to that great old Fleckvieh bull from the '80s, ABR Sir Arnold G809.

Base herd of Simangus cows here were sort of linebred to him for 20+years by use of several sons and a full brother, then a couple of home-raised bulls, before we brought in additional outside genetics (Angus, Shorthorn, then more Simmental)

AlaCowMan... back in the 80s, we were in practice in southern middle TN... worked on lots of Beefmasters back in those days...may have been more of them than Angus in our area... but at least a couple of our big clients saw the docks against eared cattle coming, and started running Simmental bulls over their Beefmaster cows... granted, they were using the big flowery yellow & whites that were most common in that time, as was I, on my beef cows, but those calves really mashed the scales.
I was using calving-ease Fleckvieh-influenced bulls over Holstein heifers we'd raised, in order to moderate frame and increase muscling. Ended up selling them as springers, so I never got to see those FleckXHO calves; bet they made some real good cows for somebody, and some dandy steers.

I sure hope that people know what they are getting into by going back to that old blood....
Things I don't miss..
Bad udders
Gigantic calves
Stupid calves
What I call LUTC syndrome, low udder tall calf
Pulling calves
pulling calves and
pulling calves

Most modern Fleckviehs had gotten improved in many traits, including calving ease and better udders. If they like to pulling giant calves...go buying some club calf type cattle.

Lucky_P":clao69ru said:
We even dipped back a bit and have been using some fullblood Fleckvieh this year, with this boy:

That's a fine looking bull for sure.
I guess I'm as guilty as most for colour bias. I had a cow get in with the neighbours one time and she ended up with a black heifer calf in the spring, so culled the calf because of her colour.

Sir Arnold G809 - yep, that's what I was thinking about.

I had 3 new embryo babies this week - all had white on face - all heifers :banana: :banana:
First 2 were RWF and last one was black WF with 2 white feet on rear & white on bellie. 1 red & 1 blk were full embryo sibs. All 3 were out of black parents on both sides.

cowgirl8":1kmhtd7p said:
I sure hope that people know what they are getting into by going back to that old blood....
Things I don't miss..
Bad udders
Gigantic calves
Stupid calves
Pulling calves
pulling calves and
pulling calves
Not all of them.

Ebenezer":1ukcgqfk said:
cowgirl8":1ukcgqfk said:
Things I don't miss..
Bad udders
Gigantic calves
Stupid calves
Pulling calves
pulling calves and
pulling calves
Not all of them.
What are the others?

cowgirl8":3pf63hr9 said:
Things I don't miss..
Bad udders
Gigantic calves
Stupid calves
Pulling calves
pulling calves and
pulling calves

But those old Fleck cows could beat any other breed when is comes to raising calves and adding pounds to your calf crop! IMHO you can't beat a good Fleck or Sim cow.

cowgirl8":2zdfiufj said:
Things I don't miss..
Bad udders
Gigantic calves
Stupid calves
Pulling calves
pulling calves and
pulling calves
I ran into that with one 3/4 simmi calf,the only one I've ever seen that nursed while on its knees..

If you have sim cows, the old blood, breed most of it out with angus. All you need is about 25% sim and still get big weanlings without all the other stuff...

cowgirl8":3l6xrcms said:
If you have sim cows, the old blood, breed most of it out with angus. All you need is about 25% sim and still get big weanlings without all the other stuff...
I might catch hell for this but I don't like angus. At all. They destroyed a lot of good breeds with this gosh awful black fad. But it seems like the black fad is slowing down. More and more reds taking premiums up here in the sales barns.. Have had guys calling looks for red cows and heifer lately.

Red hided females are in big demand.... It's hard to find a good Hereford female or a good red Angus female at reasonable prices.

Muddy":1tj8t2pj said:
Red hided females are in big demand.... It's hard to find a good Hereford female or a good red Angus female at reasonable prices.
Yep. I was looking at Fergus Falls sales report and they had Char steers that were in like the top three price groups. That hasn't happened in awhile

holm25":5xn0s3iw said:
cowgirl8":5xn0s3iw said:
I might catch be nice for this but I don't like angus. At all. They destroyed a lot of good breeds with this gosh awful black fad. But it seems like the black fad is slowing down. More and more reds taking premiums up here in the sales barns.. Have had guys calling looks for red cows and heifer lately.

Black bad, red good. Me like red, me have lots of red. Red no fad, like bad black cows.

:lol:

Latest posts