Bring Back The Old Colors

Help Support CattleToday:

Always loved these belties....I am expecting few Panda calves in this April. Should be a great cross.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":glphgg5k said:
True Grit Farms":glphgg5k said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":glphgg5k said:
I honestly don't even LOOK at the milk EPD's. Never have.
Almost as bad as claiming the animal is homo black and it having a white face.
The white on face, bellie, legs, tail, spots - has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not an animal is homozygous for a color (red or black). That is genetics 101 - totally different genes. You can even have a homozygous black cow/bull that is grey/chocolate. The animal is homo blk (carrying two black genes) but is ALSO carrying the diluter gene which trumps the actual color on a black animal. Diluter gene may or may not make any change in color on a red animal - which, of course, is homo red - all red cattle are carrying two red genes.
Thanks again for telling me that again. Doesn't a bull being homozygous black mean it should be black and produce black offspring? I've never seen a registered black Angus have any white besides around the udder. And those that do shouldn't be called black Angus, they are Angus with some white on the belly.

Vince - not sure where you are going with that.
Yes, homo black will only produce black hided cattle (or better said, cattle that carry at least 1 black gene).
An Angus bull "can" give you a red calf if he is heterozygous black (red gene carrier). There are a number of them still out there, registered Angus. Remember, that is where the Red Angus came from.

Lucky_P":kmwh8hao said:

ASR Longevity bull calf out of 3/4 AN 1/4 SM cow (N Bar Prime Time D806 x SimAngus)

:clap:

Thank you for your contribution to the cause of bringing back the old colors.

Bright Raven":3mcxszv8 said:
Supa Dexta":3mcxszv8 said:
And what old colours are those? Holstein?

It was humor. The whole thread is an expos'e on the absurdity of the value put on colors.
But, your talking to the wrong people,,the breeders would all love to raise the ""color-breed"" they like...that calf of luckys is nice, but too much white..the buyers see it a say,it's got a lot of so and so in it...it won't finish the same as this group I'm putting together...

Aww. Anybody that knows anything about cattle will know that calf is predominantly Simmental when he steps in the ring. He'll be way too good to be mistaken for a black Hereford ;)
But...his solid black herdmates...are not Angus...or, at least, not much more than 1/4 AN

We even dipped back a bit and have been using some fullblood Fleckvieh this year, with this boy:

We just got one wildly colored sim cross calf this year. I think we've finally done it. Transformed our old sim blood into sim angus, 95% solid black in the big herd. Now, we're introducing some Hereford blood for white faces...why, because we can...lol

Latest posts