breeds that grass finish

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's some grass-finished beef. We slaughter during their second winter:

DCP_4050-1.jpg

sandvalley":27xvxjy4 said:
OK jeanne the cattle and forage look great.When was this taken? Are they full Murray grays?

Thanks!! It was taken last winter...oat field ...and it probably was in early November. Yes, purebred Murray Greys.

Well we don't raise corn up here so our grains are barley, oats & spring wheat. I do a good job on grass fed Black Angus finishing off last 80 days on fertilized forage oat pasture on a rotation fence line. Of course up here we have a rainy season during that period so fert. goes rite in + the days are cooler. 17 month butcher age, yummy friends :hat:

OK Jeanne, very nice looking animals.. I can't remember what Murrays were derived from, they were shorthorn and what?... really short legged, better not have too many big rocks in the field or they'll be high centered... they do look like good eats though

Nesikep":1etv4bgu said:
OK Jeanne, very nice looking animals.. I can't remember what Murrays were derived from, they were shorthorn and what?... really short legged, better not have too many big rocks in the field or they'll be high centered... they do look like good eats though

Here's a bit of the history from the Murray Grey International site:

HISTORY:

The Murray Grey breed of cattle began in Australia along the Murray River in New South Wales. In 1905, on the property of Peter and Eva Sutherland a light roan shorthorn cow, when bred to various Aberdeen Angus bulls produced only grey calves. She had produced twelve of them by 1917, which were the origin of this breed. The herd was sold to Helen Sutherland in 1929, who started a systematic breeding program.

Mervyn Gadd started a second Murray Grey herd in the early 1940s as a commercial venture, using a Grey bull from the Sutherlands and breeding up from Angus cows. Butchers began to pay a premium price for the Greys because of their consistent high cutability and less waste. Murray Greys began to win carcass competitions in the early 70's and have continued to dominate the steer and carcass classes at the Royal shows in Australia. Murray Greys are one of the two preferred breeds for importation to Japan, due to their easy fleshing and high quality meat production. The Murrays have also started to win carcass competitions at the Calgary Stampede in Canada.

Greys and their crosses can be found producing in Canada, and South America; in the United States, they can be found in the Western areas, in the Corn Belt, the Plains from north to south, and in the hot climates of the deep south. They are, of course, a major breed in Australia and New Zealand, and Murray Greys are presently being introduced in various areas of Africa.

BREED CHARACTERISTICS:

Size: Murray Grey bulls will usually weigh 1800-2500 lbs; cows normally weigh 1000-1400 lbs. They are a true medium-framed animal that can maintain body condition easily.

Polled: Murray Greys are naturally polled and take the horns off crossbred calves.

Calving Ease: The calves are small and quick to their feet. They grow quickly and are adaptable to all climates. Many commercial producers buy a Murray bull to use on first calf heifers and are pleased enough with the results to use the bull on all their herd.

Docile: Murray Greys are calm to work with and are known as the "gentle builders of beef". Their good nature is especially important to part-time producers; ease of handling saves time, money, and temper!

Color: The hair color ranges from very light silver to chocolate or dun grey; some animals are even black but the majority are silver to a silvery-khaki color. Their skin has a dark pigmentation, which helps prevent cancer eye.

-------------------------------------

We have found that tall, framey bloodlines take too long to finish out on
forage. It appeared to us that most of their calories were going to frame
(much like a teenage boy) and when they were finally finished growing "up"
then they began to fill out with muscle. And of course ( :D ) there's not
much beef on the lower half of those tall legs!!!

Here's one of the bulls we used last year, Boomer. He is about a 5 frame,
which is the tallest score we would want to use. We'll use him again this
season and sell him in the fall.
Boomer3.jpg

novatech":2dobzbqj said:
sandvalley":2dobzbqj said:
what about North Devons? I have a Devon bull over red angus cows and plan on butchering a steer I raised this fall. I am worried that if this fall is like last I won't have the forage quality to successfully fatten any animal regardless of breed.
I don't know the difference betwen North and South Devon but a guy down here raises Devon (North or South?) X Red Angus and does well.
http://www.redrubydevon.co.uk/
The North Devons in our area are grass finished withot suppliment.

http://southdevons.co.uk/pictures/groveherd/album/
The South Devons are heavier than the North Devons, and were a dual milk/beef breed, the nearest herd uses a little concentrate on grass to finish.

http://sussexcattlesociety.org.uk/
The Sussex is an exelent grass finisher, and is the best walker and most heat tolerant British breed.

thanks for the links andybob the sussex looks alot like my red poll bull and i think the red polls were bred off of them nice to learn about cattle in other parts of the world David

thanks for the link andybob nice to see all the diffrent breeds England has to offer David

Latest posts