Breeding Red cows

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Why would you not breed red cows to a black bull? I had my choice In Nov. to buy the red crossbreds for $665 or black angus for$850, bred for mid March. Our local sale barn says fat cattle with a black hide tend to sell the best.

[email protected]

hey, just a doubt, the price tells everything, but anyway for sure purebreds Black Angus will give you more than the cross of Black Angus and Reds you bought.

> Why would you not breed red cows
> to a black bull? I had my choice
> In Nov. to buy the red crossbreds
> for $665 or black angus for$850,
> bred for mid March. Our local sale
> barn says fat cattle with a black
> hide tend to sell the best.

[email protected]

I think you made the right choice buying the red cows considering the price spread. The red cows, assuming they do have a high percentage of Red Angus blood, may also be able to tolerate the hot, humid summer days a little better than black cows.

In the future you may want to consider using a homozygous black Gelbvieh or Simmental bull on those cows. You'll still get black calves, plus you'll get calves that grow quicker, produce a higher yielding carcass, and some wonderful replacement heifers that should make fine mommas.

If you're not ready to switch to a purebred Gelbvieh or Simmental bull, you may want to consider a half Angus/half Gelbvieh or half Angus/half Simmental hybrid bull. You'll still get some of the hybrid vigor and leaner carcass, but you won't sacrifice as much marbling.

Likely there was a bit more to the price difference than the color, but put the best bull you can afford on those red cows and you will do fine. Make sure you don't just shop on price for the bull.

Jason

[email protected]

You made the right choice with the red cows. Now if i was you get the best Black Angus bull you can find. In our area blacks bring much more than any other color. If you breed to the black bull you should get some good black cross calves that will register as Cerified Angus Beef.

[email protected]

> Why would you not breed red cows
> to a black bull? I had my choice
> In Nov. to buy the red crossbreds
> for $665 or black angus for$850,
> bred for mid March. Our local sale
> barn says fat cattle with a black
> hide tend to sell the best. you made the right choice buying the red cows, put a black angus or brangus bull with them and you will get black calves and still get your best market price for the calves

[email protected]

Latest posts