Bred Cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
What are some of you paying for bred cows? I have a friend that taught me the ropes and helps me out when it comes to cattle and he is doing a herd dispersal and only keeping a couple due to health issues and is letting go of some fine blk angus and sim angus cows and heifers. I have already bought some cattle from him and am very pleased actually most of mine came from him. I wonder what some of you all are paying price wise. . I am going to try to get 20 for sure he told me they are all set to calf in june/july and is planning to sell in April.

Deepsouth":10uof91n said:
You got any pictures of them sky?
If they look good at all they're worth more than $1500.

Ds not yet probably going to his place this weekend I will take some. That's about price range I was thinking.

If you already have some and they are profitable for you, then they are worth as much as you can afford to pay. They are worth more than anything else, including fancy unproven purebred heifers.

When my neighbour dispersed, money was no object. I was getting the best cows and leaving the rest. I really lucked out and got them cheaper than others had to pay for poorer cows.

Sky, I agree with the other responses, but I would really like to know the age of the cows before I spend a lot of money on them. Here in my area, full mouth heavy breds are bringing $1500.00 all day long. You want a younger cow, expect to pay a little more.

I just spent $2000.00 a piece on 5yr old Registered Herefords with month old calves on their side. It hurt to spend that, but people are getting that for registered unproven heifers these days!!

Yea, I do a lot for his family he wants to cut me a break and be fair to both of us. I try to keep a somewhat closed herd if at all possible and I know he cares for his cattle about 20 is all I can afford.

bigbull338":2j6wbs9u said:
then his cows should be woth a min of $1500 for breds an $2000 for pairs.

I agree. We spoke on the phone today and he told me he was thinking 1200 for the 20 bred cows he said that is my price anyone else would be paying more. He is undecided on leasing his land if he does so I will lease it. I won't row crop it his pastures are too nice for that.

I didn't get to go to his other farm and check all the cows out I was in a time crunch but I stopped and looked at his heifer field and found a couple that I like they are first calf heifers. She is the only one that would let me get within 10 feet of her.

skyhightree1":1whs7r3e said:
I didn't get to go to his other farm and check all the cows out I was in a time crunch but I stopped and looked at his heifer field and found a couple that I like they are first calf heifers. She is the only one that would let me get within 10 feet of her.

Avoid heifer calves/open heifers, they will take the longest to recoup your money. I made that mistake, and will never do it again, heifers didn't turn out the way I liked so they got shipped a year later. Best buy is 4-6 year old bred cows. They have worked out the kinks and have the best chance of making you money.

Aaron good advice. I have commited to buying 20 cows from him and found 2 heifers that he said are 15 months old that came off of his 2 best cows is the only reason I will take a chance on them. The moms to this heifers he said calves grow really fast and well so I figured I would take a chance on them.

Best buy is 4-6 year old bred cows. They have worked out the kinks and have the best chance of making you money.
They are getting hard to find and pricey too, but I agree that's the way to go.

You might/should do ok on those two 15 month old heifers--they're ready to breed if they are in good shape. IF they don't give you any calving problems.

greybeard":28uuz2yf said:
Best buy is 4-6 year old bred cows. They have worked out the kinks and have the best chance of making you money.

You might/should do ok on those two 15 month old heifers--they're ready to breed if they are in good shape. IF they don't give you any calving problems.

gb I now have 3 open heifers thanks to my wife. I called the guy asked could I buy the 2 heifers so I can put them in with the bull because I don't like calving in the dead of winter he said sure come get them got there we corralled 2 back trailer up loaded them no problem. there was a 3rd in same paddock and it kept balling and then chasing truck out the pasture balling and my wife felt bad we got to the gate she asked him can we buy the last one I feel bad leaving her by herself missing her friends :shock: I told her I don't have any $ for her my friend said your credit is good with me lets load her up :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: so after loading her brought them home gave them feed and as I drove off my friend laughed said bring her back more often as he was doing this :tiphat: :wave: :banana: :lol:

skyhightree1":200fq7ky said:
greybeard":200fq7ky said:

gb I now have 3 open heifers thanks to my wife. I called the guy asked could I buy the 2 heifers so I can put them in with the bull because I don't like calving in the dead of winter he said sure come get them got there we corralled 2 back trailer up loaded them no problem. there was a 3rd in same paddock and it kept balling and then chasing truck out the pasture balling and my wife felt bad we got to the gate she asked him can we buy the last one I feel bad leaving her by herself missing her friends :shock: I told her I don't have any $ for her my friend said your credit is good with me lets load her up :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: so after loading her brought them home gave them feed and as I drove off my friend laughed said bring her back more often as he was doing this :tiphat: :wave: :banana: :lol:

:lol2:
Lesson learned!

It may work out for you sky. My wife talked me into keeping a small heifer last year and she has caught up with the others and looks good. Sometimes the heart is smarter than the brain.

Depending on price I like open heifers because you can buy more for the same dollar amount and if you have to sell them, bred heifers generally bring pretty good money here. I understand that this is more risky in some aspects and it does take longer to get your investment back, but I also think borrowing $2000 or more for a bred cow that can easily lose a calf and get sold for $1000 isn't always a better option than a $1200 heifer calf that will be worth that as an open in the fall or as a heiferette after her first calf. Just my opinion.

ds I sure hope you are right. I told her never again but if she turns into some incredible cow then I may let her start picking out the ones to buy :D I am sure this summer when kids are out of school I will end up with 2 Holstein calves now they know there mama has a cow she wanted they been asking for years for 2 Holsteins.

Latest posts