Brangus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
My bull grew wheels. Doggone neighbor's angus is back again with my cows. I patched 11 holes in the fence and now he's made more. My bull started going out the holes. I moved him to another pasture. Out he went again. Now he's seeing fences as an obstacle only. He went to the sale.

Gawd I hated to part ways with him but really saw no other choice.

Don't know what it is about bulls. Maybe like some people? It always looks like something is better on the other side of the fence. I have two registered Red Angus bulls and I've had to retrieve them twice for one of them and once for the other. To top it all off, the first one just changed places, neighbors bull got in my place and mine got into his - go figure. By the way, fences are good (or were) but unless you've got a six foot pipe fence they will go through it like it wasn't there.

I'm thinking about AI but that wouldn't stop neighbors from getting into my place.

The neighbor's is indeed my problem. Every calve out of my cows counting forward is terminal. I've moved him home twice and he's back again - for three weeks this time. Put him out and he wrecks fence to get back in.

Sure would make a fellow wanna go to the gun cabinet wouldn't it. Maybe best to bring the neighbor over and show him the holes as well as his bull in the pasture and let him know that if he's still in their tomorrow he's a buzzard buffet.

I've lost two calves out of this deal TB. Went to check them and couldn't find the herd. Finally talked to a neighbor down the road who had received a call from across the river. Went over there and the whole herd was there minus the two calves. That's back when I patched those 11 holes. Still have not found those calves. Another good reason to ship my bull if he's gonna bust fence and take others with him.

As far as that neighbor with the bull that's in there now, this will eventually go to a Taylor-Sutton fued I am sure. We've already been through a bunch. Every other neighbor has had it with him.

i better knock on wood for saying this but we've had 3 different bulls the last 11 yrs and they have all stayed in with 1 strane of electric, half the pasture have woven wire the other is just electric and havent had a problem and thankful for it. i guess ours are happy at home.

Had a funny situation last year. My pasture bordered a neighbor's pasture. My bull would not be with the herd. He would be over by the common fence bawling while my neighbor's bull would not be with his herd but at the common fence bawling. Those dames over there looks better then the ones over here. Never had a problem with them tough. :lol: Each must have been busy at night, because they get the job done.

Re-educating with a super hot electric fence to renew respect for a fence wouldn't work?.......Sure hate to have to let a good bull go because he won't stay where he is supposed to.

A quarter horse and a red rider bb gun will teach him . My neighbor has a char. Bull that didn't like to stay home . After the 4 th time calling him tO come get him I got on my horse with a bb gun. . After I chased and shot him for about 20 min he made a new hole in the fence going home . He doesnt even graze close to the common fence anymore.

backhoeboogie":20bewz44 said:
My bull grew wheels. Doggone neighbor's angus is back again with my cows. I patched 11 holes in the fence and now he's made more. My bull started going out the holes. I moved him to another pasture. Out he went again. Now he's seeing fences as an obstacle only. He went to the sale.

Gawd I hated to part ways with him but really saw no other choice.

Time changes nothing with bulls.
They beller, dig holes, blow snot, fornicate, fight and then they start over.
That is the problem with an animal that it's stomach is 30 times larger than it's brain.

Boogie had one that would walk through a seven strand barb wire with four hot wires as and never look back.

TexasBred":1264a5ak said:
Sure would make a fellow wanna go to the gun cabinet wouldn't it. Maybe best to bring the neighbor over and show him the holes as well as his bull in the pasture and let him know that if he's still in their tomorrow he's a buzzard buffet.
I really hope that you are just pulling our leg with the threat to shoot the neighbor's bull as it is illegal. I would hate to see you fined or imprisoned for animal cruelty. Let the sheriff's office deal with the bull and his owner.

A few years ago my granddaddy's bull and his neighbor's bull were always fighting. There is a hay field between them and the neighbor's Brahman bull would go through his fence (1 strand electric that was never hot) and come down tear up our fence and fight with our bull (char). My grandpa would take his shotgun and some bird shot and get on the tractor and chase his bull and every time he would turn to go to the hay field he would shoot him in the a$$. Broke him from going to the field to fight. The neighbor's bull would just come on down the road to the house and fight him in the yard! Finally the neighbor sold his cows.

BC":1lslrjnq said:
TexasBred":1lslrjnq said:
I really hope that you are just pulling our leg with the threat to shoot the neighbor's bull as it is illegal. I would hate to see you fined or imprisoned for animal cruelty. Let the sheriff's office deal with the bull and his owner.

Times have changed. Used to be it was the three S's (Shoot, Shovel and Shutup) if things couldn't be resolved gentlemanly. Now, it's let someone else take care of your problem. Personally, I prefer the old fashioned way of doing things. When it's finished, it's finished. Don't mean to start a long discussion here, just stating MY opinion.

Yawl have a very happy Christmas and remember what its all about.

BC":we414pww said:
TexasBred":we414pww said:

Another neighbor actually shot and killed one of this owner's previous bulls. It worried me because I figured I would get blamed. The old man fessed up to doing it and said he was tired of it. The sheriff's office is sick of the phone calls. This guy's cows are out all the time. I have had to put locks on gates such that Samaritans don't run the cows off of the road into my pastures. That other bull bred some of my heifers too young. All the other neighbors are great people. Just this one is a problem and he's a problem for everyone.

BC":33jpx9yq said:
TexasBred":33jpx9yq said:
:lol2: :lol2: Go back and read it again. BUT I betcha their are certain things that would definitely be justification to blow him away....how about "self defense"?? I don't know if the sheriff's dept. would come on private property to remove an animal or not. They handle loose animals on the highways but private property would probably be your probelm to solve.

TexasBred":35psvp9g said:
BC":35psvp9g said:
TexasBred":35psvp9g said:
:lol2: :lol2: Go back and read it again. BUT I betcha their are certain things that would definitely be justification to blow him away....how about "self defense"?? I don't know if the sheriff's dept. would come on private property to remove an animal or not. They handle loose animals on the highways but private property would probably be your probelm to solve.

You're pretty much right there. Cattle on the road get immediate attention.

backhoeboogie":1udkn8uc said:
BC":1udkn8uc said:
TexasBred":1udkn8uc said:

Another neighbor actually shot and killed one of this owner's previous bulls. It worried me because I figured I would get blamed. The old man fessed up to doing it and said he was tired of it. The sheriff's office is sick of the phone calls. This guy's cows are out all the time. I have had to put locks on gates such that Samaritans don't run the cows off of the road into my pastures. That other bull bred some of my heifers too young. All the other neighbors are great people. Just this one is a problem and he's a problem for everyone.

Call the Cattlemans Ranger Boogie that is what you pay your dues for. Don't let testosterone get in the way of gray matter. You might be in the right in your mind and still make your billfold thiner.

Caustic Burno":16chty5f said:
Call the Cattlemans Ranger Boogie that is what you pay your dues for. Don't let testosterone get in the way of gray matter. You might be in the right in your mind and still make your billfold thiner.

One of the neighbors happened to discuss taking this very action. I missed out on that discussion. Apparently a few of them stopped along the road and talked it over a couple of days back.

My bull brought 84.5 per pound yesterday. I didn't expect that much and assumed he was going as a packer. Maybe he did. Seems awfully high for a packer. He looked good but his weight had dropped a little because of the long drought. He was 1900 on the scales.

With the sell off, it will be time to build the herd up again which, again puts me avoiding terminal bulls. I'm going to be looking. In the mean time I have that angus bull in the pasture still. This renders everything born counting forward terminal until this situation has a remedy.

Glad your bull brought a good price. Good packer bulls are up.

Here is some information from the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association concerning estray laws in Texas:

Who do I call about estray (stray) livestock?

According to the Chapter 142 of the Texas Agriculture Code, the person in possession of the estray, or stray livestock, is required to "report the presence of the estray to the sheriff of the county in which the estray is discovered."

There is no such thing as finders keepers regarding estray livestock in Texas or Oklahoma. The finder of an estray may be charged with "Theft of Livestock" if he or she disposed of the estray outside of the estray procedure (Section 142 of the Texas Agriculture Code and Title 4-85.3 of the Oklahoma Animal Code).

Please assist the sheriff by providing the location, number and description of the estray livestock.

[/b]
Can I sell stray livestock if they are on my land?[/b]

No, that would be considered stealing. Contact your local sheriff and your special ranger.

If everybody would take care of there problem animals or correct property lines(ie fencing) these situations would not happen. My family will not tolerate one of our bulls roaming. Neighbors have not always shared the idea. We bought, some years back, a 15 month old Charolais bull. He decided the cows of the neighbors were more to his liking. This resulted in a change of his behavior. A ring went into his nose and about a 4 or 5 foot piece of chain was attached. That bull never got out again. He was one the best bulls we ever owned. Sammy, remained with us about 4 years, then to my aunt, and eventually to her son-n-law.

Latest posts