Braford

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy":1djkeztv said:
You could try AI so you don't have to invest a ton of money in a bull you don't know if you will the results. If I was you I would take those Tigers and put them with a Char bull and watch the dollars roll in.

I agree with Waco on this one. Put a Charolais on those tigerstripes. $$$$$$$$$ will be rolling in.

Too bad this is not a year down the Road. I have what you need. A Southern Balancer. To say I am pleased is an understatement. I was looking at them this morning and well to say that these are not the best set of calves I have ever seen is an under statement. Solid Black, uniform Bull calves. They already at one month look deep and thick. Just had one drop 3 days ago and you can see the size difference of a month. This first to drop is a Bull he will not be cut. You can tell he is a breeder.

Alacowman was right sit back and watch these things grow. and they are. They are. I really do believe that this version of a Southern Balancer will work and work great.

Out of curiosity are you concerned with color?

txcowpoke":3rccsp3t said:
Well, I like the idea you mentioned about the Hereford x Brangus cross, I just don't have many Brangus cows to go with the Hereford bulls. I also considered taking the tigerstripe heifers/cows that I'm keeping and putting a F-1 Angus x Brahman bull on them to keep the 50% Brahman in those calves. I realize the steers wouldn't bring as much, as you mentioned, but I'm trying to look at this long term, and I really want to have a set of black baldy cows that I can ride through and really be proud of. The down side to this approach is that it would take twice as long to get my desired replacement heifer. I'd be raising tigerstripe heifers out of Brahman cows, then raising black baldy heifers out of those tigerstripe cows. Then of course I'd be putting a different type of bull on the black baldy cows to get the growth out of the calves to sell (possibly Charolais). I'd be having to keep three different breeds of cows on separate properties, as well as three different breeds of bulls. It just seems a little excessive to me, when I could possibly take a homozygous black Hereford bull, and still possibly get the same 50% Brahman influence (plus the same hybrid vigor of the tigerstripe cow). Maybe I could just try it on a couple of Brahman cows with a black Hereford bull. I was just hoping to get some confirmation before I bite the bullet and buy a black Hereford bull. But I guess if you're going to experiment, you just have to take a chance every now and then. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. But I do feel like even if the results are not exactly what I'm looking for, being 50% Brahman, there should still be some pretty decent demand for the replacement heifers. Who knows, the may all come out like the chocolates you get with some red Hereford x brahman. I could live with something like that.
I've heard the stories about black hereford bulls throw solid calves with no white on them when crossbreeding. You might will get some full black ones but they looks like a F1 Brangus more than F1 tigerstripes. I think the association has f'ked up black herefords when they took the hybrid vigor away.

Muddy":2ezt94tx said:
txcowpoke":2ezt94tx said:
Well, I like the idea you mentioned about the Hereford x Brangus cross, I just don't have many Brangus cows to go with the Hereford bulls. I also considered taking the tigerstripe heifers/cows that I'm keeping and putting a F-1 Angus x Brahman bull on them to keep the 50% Brahman in those calves. I realize the steers wouldn't bring as much, as you mentioned, but I'm trying to look at this long term, and I really want to have a set of black baldy cows that I can ride through and really be proud of. The down side to this approach is that it would take twice as long to get my desired replacement heifer. I'd be raising tigerstripe heifers out of Brahman cows, then raising black baldy heifers out of those tigerstripe cows. Then of course I'd be putting a different type of bull on the black baldy cows to get the growth out of the calves to sell (possibly Charolais). I'd be having to keep three different breeds of cows on separate properties, as well as three different breeds of bulls. It just seems a little excessive to me, when I could possibly take a homozygous black Hereford bull, and still possibly get the same 50% Brahman influence (plus the same hybrid vigor of the tigerstripe cow). Maybe I could just try it on a couple of Brahman cows with a black Hereford bull. I was just hoping to get some confirmation before I bite the bullet and buy a black Hereford bull. But I guess if you're going to experiment, you just have to take a chance every now and then. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. But I do feel like even if the results are not exactly what I'm looking for, being 50% Brahman, there should still be some pretty decent demand for the replacement heifers. Who knows, the may all come out like the chocolates you get with some red Hereford x brahman. I could live with something like that.
I've heard the stories about black hereford bulls throw solid calves with no white on them when crossbreeding. You might will get some full black ones but they looks like a F1 Brangus more than F1 tigerstripes. I think the association has f'ked up black herefords when they took the hybrid vigor away.

Watch the language Taurus, this is a family reatraunt.

No way would I use a slab sided black herf bull, they still have a long way to go..maybe a breeder wlll step up in the future and breed some substance to them. Instead of just the hide..

thommoos":24zhf7s0 said:
Too bad this is not a year down the Road. I have what you need. A Southern Balancer. To say I am pleased is an understatement. I was looking at them this morning and well to say that these are not the best set of calves I have ever seen is an under statement. Solid Black, uniform Bull calves. They already at one month look deep and thick. Just had one drop 3 days ago and you can see the size difference of a month. This first to drop is a Bull he will not be cut. You can tell he is a breeder.

Alacowman was right sit back and watch these things grow. and they are. They are. I really do believe that this version of a Southern Balancer will work and work great.

Out of curiosity are you concerned with color?
I would need about five of them all bred the same way and not just any five bred the same way so it really is a case of make my own or go another way for me. :D
As for color, not at all. In fact everything in my tank for my own cows is red as I'm trying to get the cow part headed in the right direction so I picked on color last and they all happened to be red. High quality black bulls are a dime a dozen so keeping red heifers and selling all black calves and a handful of red steers keeps it pretty simple.

Latest posts