The bulls we will be using on the 150 Braford and f1 Brafiord cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not registering any thing ....I would just be breeding functional cattle..super baldies and not spending years and a fortune doing it..not talking registered black Brafords which sound like a money loser just pronouncing it...you put one up a against a good ,2 parent tiger stripe..see which one will be the most desired..

What 2 parents would you use, to get a 5/8ths Hereford 3/8ths Brahma, which is what a Braford is? Or in this case, what 2 would you use to get a 5/8ths Black hereford 3/8ths Brahma, which is what a Black Braford would be?
If you think that each parent always contribute equally to the expressed geneotype I would recommend you study some up to date genetics.
Using a black herford cow and a Brahma bull would be closer to giving you the 5/8 x3/8 expressed genotype then the 1/2x1/2 you are predicting.

I'm not registering any thing ....I would just be breeding functional cattle..super baldies and not spending years and a fortune doing it..not talking registered black Brafords which sound like a money loser just pronouncing it...you put one up a against a good ,2 parent tiger stripe..see which one will be the most desired..
Actually, YOU said you could produce a Black Braford ( 5/8ths Hereford and 3/8th Brahma) with 2 parents. I asked you what 2 parents and you said "a Brangus and a Hereford." I then explained very clearly how the Braford, Brangus, Santa Gertrudis etc, breeds were created. You can go back and read your 2 posts on page 1. No one said anything about super baldies. But yes, this breeder has 200 purebred Brangus cows that he breeds to Herefords for back baldies with a little ear. And 150 pb Brahma cows he breeds to Hereford and Black hereford bulls for f1 Hereford x brahmas, or f1 Brafords as some call them.

A red and white f1 Hereford x Brahma cow, will bring a couple hundred more than a tiger stripe will, and a black & white f1 Hereford x Brahma will bring a couple hundred more than the red & whites. I know son.. I been looking at and pricing over 350 of these cows the last 6 months.

I think a lot of the problem is that novice and part time cattle people thing that any cow that is black with Brahma influence is a Brangus, and any that is red with ear is a Braford. Not hardly. Great Danes were developed from Irish Wolf hounds and bull mastifs, but a dog that is 1/2 wolfhound and 1/2 mastif is NOT a Great Dane.

If you think that each parent always contribute equally to the expressed geneotype I would recommend you study some up to date genetics.
Using a black herford cow and a Brahma bull would be closer to giving you the 5/8 x3/8 expressed genotype then the 1/2x1/2 you are predicting.
Uhhhh, you are making me dizzy. None of that gibberish made sense. A cross between an animal of one breed with an animal of another, gives you offspring that are 50% parent A, and 50% parent B. A 5/8ths/3/8ths cross comes from crossing an animal that is 50% parent A and 50% parent B, with an animal that is 75% parent A and 25% parent B.

Knowledgeable breeders of Brahma-influenced cattle would NOT cross a Hereford... black or red....(or any British breed cow) with a Brahma bull. You cross Brahma cows with British bulls.

Actually, YOU said you could produce a Black Braford ( 5/8ths Hereford and 3/8th Brahma) with 2 parents. I asked you what 2 parents and you said "a Brangus and a Hereford." I then explained very clearly how the Braford, Brangus, Santa Gertrudis etc, breeds were created. You can go back and read your 2 posts on page 1. No one said anything about super baldies. But yes, this breeder has 200 purebred Brangus cows that he breeds to Herefords for back baldies with a little ear. And 150 pb Brahma cows he breeds to Hereford and Black hereford bulls for f1 Hereford x brahmas, or f1 Brafords as some call them.

A red and white f1 Hereford x Brahma cow, will bring a couple hundred more than a tiger stripe will, and a black & white f1 Hereford x Brahma will bring a couple hundred more than the red & whites. I know son.. I been looking at and pricing over 350 of these cows the last 6 months.

I think a lot of the problem is that novice and part time cattle people thing that any cow that is black with Brahma influence is a Brangus, and any that is red with ear is a Braford. Not hardly. Great Danes were developed from Irish Wolf hounds and bull mastifs, but a dog that is 1/2 wolfhound and 1/2 mastif is NOT a Great Dane.
no I didn't say that ..and I'm no where near a novice. .I said you can raise just a good a animal in one generation by breeding just two breed parents together with out jumping through hoops ,time and money,...anyway I thought you were still trying to concour the corriente

Uhhhh, you are making me dizzy. None of that gibberish made sense.
The gibberish is a called applied genetics. It's science. It is beneficial to many who want to learn the real world applied science. Not the theory or old wife's tales or mathematical equations of probability many call epds

Knowledgeable breeders of Brahma-influenced cattle would NOT cross a Hereford... black or red....(or any British breed cow) with a Brahma bull. You cross Brahma cows with British bulls.

People do it all the time. The bull in my avatar went to a neighbor to put on his BA cows.

no I didn't say that ..and I'm no where near a novice. .I said you can raise just a good a animal in one generation by breeding just two breed parents together with out jumping through hoops ,time and money,...anyway I thought you were still trying to concour the corriente
Whew, when I get done with supper, I will go back and cut and paste what you said for you. Are you sure you are from Alabama and not Canada?!!! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Last edited:
People do it all the time. The bull in my avatar went to a neighbor to put on his BA cows.
I am sure they do. !st brahmas to hit around here in the 60's were bulls, and people had those little hereford and Angus cows mostly. But even the ABBA advises you not use Brahma bulls on Hereford cows. Can make the bull calves enormous at birth. It would sure be less expensive to use British cows and Brahma bulls, than Brahma cows. Waqsnt it you that paosted that chart about heterosis that had that info on it? If not it must have been Caustic.

I am sure they do. !st brahmas to hit around here in the 60's were bulls, and people had those little hereford and Angus cows mostly. But even the ABBA advises you not use Brahma bulls on Hereford cows. Can make the bull calves enormous at birth. It would sure be less expensive to use British cows and Brahma bulls, than Brahma cows. Waqsnt it you that paosted that chart about heterosis that had that info on it? If not it must have been Caustic.

It's CB. It good to be aware of it but it's not a deal breaker by any means. I'm the one always saying it can be done just be sure to talk with your Brahman bull seller about what you are doing and get a lbw, calving ease bull.

The Brahman dealers I talk to have no problem with it. You just have to use common sense.

Cattle have changed a lot since the 60s.

It's CB. It good to be aware of it but it's not a deal breaker by any means. I'm the one always saying it can be done just be sure to talk with your Brahman bull seller about what you are doing and get a lbw, calving ease bull.

The Brahman dealers I talk to have no problem with it. You just have to use common sense.

Cattle have changed a lot since the 60s.
So have the breeders ..

Moot point on the bulls now. The client I had that came out when I delivered the last cows to Wayne, that offered $2200 a head? He called Thursday and offered $2500 a head for the pairs, and $2200 for the ones yet to calve. Thursday 102 had calved, and some more did Fri and today. So, he told Wayne today: " Hell, they gonna all calve before I get them hauled, Let's just do $2500 a head , period"!! That's $375000....a $105000 profit!! $700 per cow! Now I don't have to fool with those designer bulls! :) Probably gotta start back hunting 150 cows again, though!!

Moot point on the bulls now. The client I had that came out when I delivered the last cows to Wayne, that offered $2200 a head? He called Thursday and offered $2500 a head for the pairs, and $2200 for the ones yet to calve. Thursday 102 had calved, and some more did Fri and today. So, he told Wayne today: " Hell, they gonna all calve before I get them hauled, Let's just do $2500 a head , period"!! That's $375000....a $105000 profit!! $700 per cow! Now I don't have to fool with those designer bulls! :) Probably gotta start back hunting 150 cows again, though!!
Now don't you feel guilty for all that money you made putting them together?:devilish:

Now don't you feel guilty for all that money you made putting them together?:devilish:
When he called me yesterday to tell me, he said me he was transferring money into my account. He said he felt it was only fair that we split the profit! I said: " Damn Wayne! That's $105k. No way I can accept $50k+_!!! How about 10%?" He said ok if that suited me. I actually didn't think he owed me anything, but I know him well enough to know there was no way he was going to let me take nothing. Well this morning in "pending", there was a $37.5k deposit. The man wants to pay me 10% of the whole $375k sale! I meant 10% of the $105k profit!

Latest posts