Mutt Braford sired bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
This is a 15 month old bull calf. He was an oops calf from a young black SimAngus heifer, and a 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahman bull. Normally I would never have kept back a bull like him, but was impressed with how well the heifer did with him. Both the heifer and bull he is out of have some real good uddered calf raising cows in their lines. I'm soon to be pulling bulls out and not going to need all 3 of them and he will likely be the one to go. My thinking is that if he sires a lot of brindle calves in addition to red ones that it could leave a lot of money on the table. His sire was not brindle.DD86F731-23A4-483D-96B9-A845579DD6EF.jpeg4622504B-53D4-47BB-BBA1-FC438A5B9131.jpeg8B7DF271-F852-4A65-BC8F-7C6C44EEC82D.jpeg

Legs look to be too straight. It's a guess until you see him walk. Can he fill his tracks? Then you know that either the legs are too straight or a quest for extra height or extra length has skewed the whole skeleton. Dr. Bob Long had some good info on this decades ago. A classis + frame height problem is when there is a stiff legged gait and the major movement is from the hip. That became a bugger when everybody was chasing "length". I know of several famed medium to smaller framed bulls that have that rear half step gait but they are "great". But that extra length was a huge advantage at the time. Now we have the swaybacks galore. I wonder why? :unsure: ;) But it takes a "moving picture" to see the truth in legs. Leg problems in bulls in anything other than the best of conditions will shorten the career of the beast.

If you chase a fad or a trait it becomes reality: free advice and worth what you paid for it! Or as Larry used to say, "When you change them, you change them".

Legs look to be too straight. It's a guess until you see him walk. Can he fill his tracks? Then you know that either the legs are too straight or a quest for extra height or extra length has skewed the whole skeleton. Dr. Bob Long had some good info on this decades ago. A classis + frame height problem is when there is a stiff legged gait and the major movement is from the hip. That became a bugger when everybody was chasing "length". I know of several famed medium to smaller framed bulls that have that rear half step gait but they are "great". But that extra length was a huge advantage at the time. Now we have the swaybacks galore. I wonder why? :unsure: ;) But it takes a "moving picture" to see the truth in legs. Leg problems in bulls in anything other than the best of conditions will shorten the career of the beast.

If you chase a fad or a trait it becomes reality: free advice and worth what you paid for it! Or as Larry used to say, "When you change them, you change them".
Thanks for the response and explanation. I've long believed that all of the extreme fads have led to a lot of different problems.

Latest posts