Bought some herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
Bought some hereford cows today to add into our commercial herd for crossing with gerts

Reg. #'s

43014315 bred to TRM GENETIC CHOICE 7084

42770552 bred to OF BOOMER VICTOR 0725

42851389 bred to 43049384

These were not my picks of the offering but were cows I was willing to get for the price for a commercial setting. My question is since I know virtually nothing about the breed is what can you tell me about the bloodlines I got. The good, the bad and the ugly.

edit: bulls bred to added

If you prefer pm'ing your thoughts feel free, I would rather have honest opinions than P.C. fluff since these are my first Herfs and I know nothing.

Bloodline information?
The OF Boomer bull has Boomer 29F and RF Postive Plus and has the genetics for producing good calves.
The cow that he bred has CMF 103T VICTOR 262D in her pedgree and he makes good looking calves.

TRM GENETIC CHOICE 7084 is suppose to be a calving ease low birthweight bull , but he is not proven.
The cow 43014315 that he bred is the one that EPD wise and pedgree wise that would interest me the most.
She has some Feltons , online , and P606 in her breeding and each of them bring some positive values to the breed.

You have a wide varity of different bloodline in the cows , including some horn genetics , and it would be unusal for the three cows to produce similar offspring. They should work good for crossing with your Gerts. I don't believe that you have any problem animals in their pedgree that will affect your intended use.

This combination (43014315 bred to TRM GENETIC CHOICE 7084) might produce a good quality calf to register.

Your guestions about the good, bad , and ugly really could get very long and drawn out and best discussed over the phone or in person with someoe that has used similar genetics.

I doubt that any carry the horn gene. There are horned cattle in all their pedigrees , however its far enough back that it should be breed out, 5 or more generations ago.

LFF":3qptm9kp said:
I doubt that any carry the horn gene. There are horned cattle in all their pedigrees , however its far enough back that it should be breed out, 5 or more generations ago.
Don;t bet on it. We have one registered Hereford that shows all polled in her pedigree and yet when bred to a hetero polled bull last year she had a horned calf.

I don't really care if they carry the horn gene or not. I was just curious. The Jubilee cow was a last minute purchase (she was the last one through the barn) and was kind of a why not one more purchase. There were a few I wish I had stuck it out a little longer but they ran out of sale order sheets and you never know.

Latest posts